• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RESCUES ONLY PLEASE - minimum accommodation height you rehome to

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Do you rehome to accommodation that is 18 inches tall and 18 inches deep and where the run is only 18 inches high?

Just wanting to canvas if the minimum accepted height is now 2ft tall for everyone.

(to clarify, I do not, but wondered if anyone else does)

I'm not a rescue, so may be replying needlessly but you know I do all the rabbit home visits, etc for ours.

People don't choose their rabbits prior to having a home visit. So we look for a height where the rabbit could stand up on his back legs (obviously this will vary rabbit to rabbit due to size) and if it's ok for small rabbits but not others we will state that, if it's too small for any, we will state that as well.

I would much prefer 2ft, preferably even more but that would only be a full on requirement for a bigger bunny.

I'm not a rescue, so may be replying needlessly but you know I do all the rabbit home visits, etc for ours.

People don't choose their rabbits prior to having a home visit. So we look for a height where the rabbit could stand up on his back legs (obviously this will vary rabbit to rabbit due to size) and if it's ok for small rabbits but not others we will state that, if it's too small for any, we will state that as well.

I would much prefer 2ft, preferably even more but that would only be a full on requirement for a bigger bunny.

Thanks Tracy.

I have a minimum but judge each bunny individually too but I really only homecheck when the person knows which bunny they'd like to try so that helps with getting the housing right before I visit.

Yes a minimum of 2ft high for the hutch setup. We ask for a 2ft run height also.

Although this is the minimum, each acccomadation setup is assessed individually.

We ask for a 6x2x2ft hutch min with a 6x4ftx2ft run attached. This usually means the pair will have around 36sqft minimum. We may be increasing this shortly in line with the RWA.

Last edited:
Thanks Tracy.

I have a minimum but judge each bunny individually too but I really only homecheck when the person knows which bunny they'd like to try so that helps with getting the housing right before I visit.

*nods* That can make it much easier. We have produced a form that tells people exactly what we look for at a home visit so they have every chance of getting it right. However, because it's not all in my control we had to find a way that worked best for the bunnies.

The reason we only reserve after a home isit is because a, people suck at choosing the right rabbit for their family so when we reserved beforehand, the wrong rabbits were being reserved and now it's after I meet people at the Centre, having been in their homes, met their family, etc, and can choose a rabbit that fits into their home. And b, people were taking an age to make the changes they needed to make before bringing home their rabbits, so the rabbits were losing other potential homes in the meantime.

very strict on 2ft high and 2ft deep .. occasionaly pass 2ft high if in a 24hr secure run that is aviary type as its then used as shelter only .

Yes a minimum of 2ft high for the hutch setup. We ask for a 2ft run height also.

Although this is the minimum, each acccomadation setup is assessed individually.

We ask for a 6x2x2ft hutch min with a 6x4ftx2ft run attached. This usually means the pair will have around 36sqft minimum. We may be increasing this shortly in line with the RWA.

What are the RWA saying now then? and how do you think this will affect your ability to rehome (presuming it's bigger than your current requirments)

Our requirements are a minimum 2ft heigh in hutch and run, and our minimum run size is 6x6 with a 6x2 hutch

RWAF run size is now 8ft x 4ft x 2ft.

Hi Amy,

Thanks for this. Yes we are now recommending this size even though we are accepting 6x4ft runs as a minimum.

I'm not sure how this will impact as of yet. I imagine it would cause problems rehoming if it was a compulsory minimum requirement.

We are recommending wooden fox proof runs as permanent runs also rather than any metal runs that are on the market.

~Jane

Hi Amy,

Thanks for this. Yes we are now recommending this size even though we are accepting 6x4ft runs as a minimum.

I'm not sure how this will impact as of yet. I imagine it would cause problems rehoming if it was a compulsory minimum requirement.

We are recommending wooden fox proof runs as permanent runs also rather than any metal runs that are on the market.

~Jane

That's interesting - I've only ever homechecked once where there was a metal run and after adjustments felt it would be suitable as it was permanently pinned to the floor. The owner didn't go on to adopt in any event, but I don't know how I'd feel about it in all cases.

Hi Amy,

I imagines as rescues you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Theoretically a good owner would be prepared to meet the higher standards and in an ideal world that would be great. But by moving the goalpost are they now saying that people who previously bought 6 x 4 are now not meeting standards?

I bought all my buns 7ft x 5ft runs thinking bigger was better, but now they are only just meeting the guidelines. If they change again am I supposed to replace all my runs?

Or say I had bought 6ft runs then adopted a new bun from a rescue who asked the 8ft size would I then be saying the new bun deserves bigger but my current buns don't?

I am not a rescue - (although it feels like one at times:lol:) but thought I might just add in a thought or two having rehomed from many different rescues and also done homechecks.?

The height and size regulations are designed to be a minimum, but also are designed really with the 'old fashioned' style of housing in mind. (hutch and run) and a standard twosome.

This leads to difficulties interpreting them when faced with different style housing -

For example I now have smaller (aviary style) runs than I used to have, but they are now equipped with fully covered insulated rooves, and have raised built in 'hutches' accessed by ramps with flat spaces on top of the hutches also accessed by ramps. If I were to measure all the accessible spaces (floor, hutch floor, flat top to hutch, x2 very wide ramps) it ends up as the same space as before (and more sheltered and variable and entertaining) BUT on the basic measurement of the floor space of the 'run' alone its only 9ft by 6.6ft. (total accessible flat areas total 16ft by 6.6ft plus the two wide ramps)

None of this space is taken up by the large holes that you get in the floors of 'two up' hutches (which personally I find a waste of space) - which is also a factor.

However one rescue was reluctant to home to me at first because I did not quite reach their minimum of 10ft by 6ft basic run space and they did not wantto be seen to break their 'rule'..

Heightwise I feel personally that the full stretch up of the bunny (not just periscoping but actually standing up on its hind paws stretching up the wire as if 'stood up' should be measured as that allows bun to really stretch its legs and spine.

However again that leads us back to who is making these now and the expense?

The only 'traditional hutch' style accommodation that I have ever felt happy with (and then only if run time is allowed) is the Forsham Very Large Hutch (7.5ft by 3ft by 3.5 ft) and they are now sadly bankrupt.

And what do you do with foursomes? All mine are in foursomes and I personally do not feel that this needs twice the space of a twosome (they tend to lay in heaps anyway!!!) as the space if for running etc. But I might feel differently if it was a hutch style accommodation.

Just to add that unless it was a very small nethie I personally would not be happy passing a homecheck with an 18inch hutch - its like someone living in a 6ft tall room!

Sorry if this just adds confusion. :oops:

Last edited:
Back