• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We released four rescue hedgehogs last night!

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
I had a call from our local hog rescue last week asking if we'd be able to take some hogs ready for release. We said yes of course - you can't have too many hogs :love::love:

I picked them up yesterday. Four siblings which had been rescued as babies, now 10 weeks old. 3 boys and a girl :love:

I'm afraid I don't have any photo's as we don't like to use the camera flash when they are being released but if you close your eyes and imagine.....

It is almost dark. The air is warm & still and the rain starts to gentle fall. Four prickly balls tentatively emerge from two little wooden houses, excitedly and noisily munching on cat biscuits & chunks of apple as they go. Their little wet noses sniffing the air for tasty noms and their tiny eyes peering up and twinkling in the moonlight like little glass beads. All four hogs out, they each scurry off into the warm, dark undergrowth & beneath the hedges to explore and find their feasts, invisible now and free :D:D:love:

They have a feeding station set up a few meters from their houses from where they were released and we will feed them (dog food) for the next few evenings but then reduce the amount right down to just a small scattering of cat biscuits a few times a week. There is plenty of 'natural' food around and we want them to learn to find it for themselves.

We wish our little family long & happy lives & hope to hear and see them again very soon :love:

Last edited:
Oh that's a lovely story. :D I too wish you had pics though. Are you likely to see them during daylight hours?

Oh that's a lovely story. :D I too wish you had pics though. Are you likely to see them during daylight hours?

No. As a general rule if you see a hedgehog out during the day there is something wrong with him/her :( The advice from rescues in this scenario is to pick it up & pop it into a cardboard box with hay/straw/towels & get it to your nearest rescue :)

I see the thread title has altered. ;) I'm afraid I too was thinking some type of small wild boar, and was wondering what type of car you were using to transport them. :oops:

I see the thread title has altered. ;) I'm afraid I too was thinking some type of small wild boar, and was wondering what type of car you were using to transport them. :oops:

:lol::lol: Apologies for the mis-representation Funny though! :lol:

Back