• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Messy rear end - Leo bunny

alisont

Mama Doe
Leo my elderly bunny has a messy rear end - not quite sure of the cause, he is normally very clean there but it has been muggy, humid weather. I think it might be due to a mix of heat and something he ate? Can't think of anything different diet wise that he has had.

He was not impressed with me getting the kitchen roll out to wipe him - have got a lot of it off but he is not 100% clean. I'm now stressing over fly strike as he is an outdoors bunny.

Hutch has been cleaned again today - he is still having his burgess pellets but have cut right back on the greens, he doesnt have loads of greens normally anyway. He has his hay and is eating/drinking fine.

I'm thinking of booking a vets visit - will depend who is on tomorrow as I tend to book in with the senior vet. He is really not keen on me cleaning him but I keep thinking of flies in this muggy weather.

He is due myxi/vhd but don't want to get those done until his tum seems better.

He is not keen on vets visits as he hates being in his travel box for too long.

I'm no doubt being too over cautious but to be honest any changes and I get worried - especially with such an elderly bunny. He seems his usual self.

He hates anything to do with baths - tried just doing rear end once when he had a bad tum after boarding and he was so stressed it was awful.

I'll see how he is in the morning before work, if it's no better I'll book a vets apointment.

He has not been in the sun - but has been kept in the shade with wet towels over the run.

I could try unfragranced baby wipes to clean the area, would that be a good idea?

Thanks Alison

My elderly bun, Dylan, started getting a messy bottom. I've had buns have fly strike before so I am paranoid and do give bottom baths if I have to. His myxi jab was due shortly after he started being messy and my vet said he had arthritis. He was put on daily metacam and since then his bottom has been absolutely fine. I haven't changed his diet at all so I think it was just that it was too painful for him to clean himself.

I had no idea Dylan had arthritis as he was still hopping around as usual. He definitely became more active after he started having the daily medication so he must have been uncomfortable - which makes me feel an awful Bunny Mummy:( I think a vet check would be a good idea as Leo is a mature bun.

You know I did wonder about arthritis as the owner of the pet hotel he goes to mentioned he might have a tiny bit of it in his old age, she has quals in animal care and a lot of experience. He seems fine and is moving about ok, but does sleep more now and it is most unusual for him to be messy. He was trying to clean himself last night but did seem to give up sitting up and went to sleep.

Hard to tell with hot weather and does seem better this am after a night of no greens, just hay and pelletts.

I've booked the vets for tonight and got an appointment with the head vet who is the most experienced there, and classes as an 'exotics vet' Leo needs his nails cutting (I can do it but he plays up and get stressed with me - vet has him sorted so quickly I tend to go there) He is due Myxi then VHD too so will see what the vet says.

Good thing is I'm off work after this week for 3 weeks so can keep a closer eye on him.

I have had a bunny many years ago with fly strike who died so I am very paranoid, it's such an awful thing fly strike.

Hopefully it is just weather related or too many greens or something the vet can prescribe meds for, really hope it's is nothing more serious - he's done so well health wise all his life - I do dread him getting ill in his old age.

I'm glad Dylan is better with some meds.

Hi no have not alsked that before but I will do tonight, thanks, am really hoping it is nothing but I feel better for booking the appointment.

Just back from the vets.

Glad I went as there is a problem with Leo.

Vet checked and the rear end was clean - which is good. He then checked his teeth and found the back teeth to be a bit long so filed them down. He then looked again and found the one back tooth was overgrown and causing abcesses - not massive ones but a few under the area. He then clipped the tooth down.

He thinks and hopes this will make Leo feel better, he does think Leo has arthritis in the back legs but does not want to give metacam yet as wants to wait to see if Leo gets his energy back after the dental.

Leo has had his myxi booster tonight but vet is holding off the VHD for 6 weeks then Leo will go again to have his teeth checked and VHD.

After a claw clip Leo was all done.

The vet was saying he is confident/happy doing rabbit dentals without anaesthetic, but not guineas. Leo was not over stressed.

So glad I know what the problem was as you get a feeling when something is not quite right, but think it will now be a case of dental check ups every 6 weeks and the possibility of arthritis too.

Off to read up on abcesses and dental care more now. Leo is out in the run relaxing now, I hope he has not been in pain/discomfort, I'd never thought it was dental related as he was eating fine, chewing well, no dribble and front teeth looked fine and no weight loss.

I'm glad you may have found the cause. If they do not chew properly they may not digest properly = sticky bum. Some bunnies don't show signs until the last minute, but you do tend to get to see little signs like you have now.

Try some hawthorne leaves too, they have helped my elderly dental bun (he is 8 )

Last edited:
I'm really glad I went - Leo tonight has been much more alert - he has been inside chinning everywhere/everyone in the lounge and having a good wash. He has been eating his hay and in general has really picked up - seems much more the Leo I know!

I will get some hawthorne leaves - we do have a hedge of them!

The vet has said this is the start of 6 weekly visits - will always book in with him as he is the only vet there who is happy to do dentals on rabbits without sedation.

He said Leo has done well to get to his age with no previous illness/issues.

I feel bad Leo has got small abcesses but they are tucked away and no signs otherwise such as wet chin - hope he has not been in much discomfort/pain with those. Until the weekend he had been fine - just goes to show how important it is to get to the vets if you get that 'something is not right' feeling.

Back