• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to get an adult rabbit used to being held

tommo1975

Young Bun
I've had my rabbit now for 10 months and in that time he's accepted me quite happily and trusts me. He was quite a neglected animal prior to arriving into my care and is now about 4 years old (a guess, not sure).

However, whenever I try to pick him up he'll attempt to leap away and struggle and kick. He even did it to the vet today during his vaccination.

Obviously this reaction has scared me away from trying to pick him up to much and indeed I have found novel ways to get him from his hutch into his run.

How can I get him more used to being handled? As I've never owned a rabbit before I'm fearful he'll do himself an injury if I keep trying. I'm not after him being a rabbit who likes to be hugged and carried around, but would love him to not panic every time I try to pick him up.

Last edited:
Honestly its easier to just not pick them up lol

Being a pray animal, most think that theyre about to die if theyre lifted off the floor.

My bunny is exactly the same.
I did try a bit to get her used to it by doing different stages but whenever you lifted her bum a bit she'd panic again. Putting a towel over her didn't work either apart from the first couple of times.
I asked a vet once and she said most bunnies don't like it cos they think you're going to eat them and because she's over 6 months she didn't think she was ever going to get used to it. So I just give her strokes and kisses and only pick her up when I really have to.
I used to bring her inside at night but this stressed her out too much (it involved picking her up) that I now keep her outside all the time

Ruthie xxx

Bunnies are just generally like that, most will try to get away as they see you as a predator and don't understand your intentions.

My two are like that. The only time that Casper will let me pick him up is if I have managed to take Charlie out of the run and left him in it on his own. Then he will happily let me pick him up. But to be honest I try not to put them through it as they hate it so much. I use the pet carrier from shed to run and if I want to have them on my lap I sit on the floor and they hop on. Much less stressful! I have to stress them by picking them up to check their bums but apart from that I let them be.

Back