• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions from rescues please.....

willowholly

Mama Doe
After reading another thread I was interested to know what a rescues point of view would be if my Casper wouldn't bond in with my other two.Would you think it cruel of me to keep him in the spare room where he is now,alone,bearing in mind this room is attached to our lounge & we block the door off with his cage at mo if we are not in room with him so we can still see him & interact with him,or like it was suggested on another thread,he should be rehomed.So as a rescue would you encourage me to keep him as ive described or take him in yourself to rehome.Bearing in mind I really want him with the others but some things are out of our control.
None of my rabbits are being rehomed,I am just interested in a rescues opinion.Thankyou.:D

NB: Not speaking on behalf of a rescue, but personally here

We have a single outdoor bun, which I know most people disagree with, but he's refused all attempted bondings since he fell out with his brother, but is very happy to interact with our other buns from a safe distance! We know he is aware of them as when they've been in the vets for a day for a dental, Dill is much quieter and then very bouncy when they're back in their playhouse next to him.
I think it's about judging the best interests of the individual bun and whether they're happy.

i was wondering this too.. not your situation itself but i was going to ask what rescues would say if asked could a bunny they sent off as a couple could remain single for the rest of its life due to death/a fight.

im fairly sure the hopper haven adoption form states the bunny i have adopted should go back to them if things dont work out, altho it would make my day if i was allowed to keep holly even if she was single, i would honour the rescues wishes even if it broke my heart.

After reading another thread I was interested to know what a rescues point of view would be if my Casper wouldn't bond in with my other two.Would you think it cruel of me to keep him in the spare room where he is now,alone,bearing in mind this room is attached to our lounge & we block the door off with his cage at mo if we are not in room with him so we can still see him & interact with him,or like it was suggested on another thread,he should be rehomed.So as a rescue would you encourage me to keep him as ive described or take him in yourself to rehome.Bearing in mind I really want him with the others but some things are out of our control.
None of my rabbits are being rehomed,I am just interested in a rescues opinion.Thankyou.:D

The rescue I do all the bunny stuff at does everything on a case by case basis, so we would look at the bunny, look at the set up, discuss with the family what the options were, stuff like that.

We don't have blanket policies or anything for anything like this because all bunnies are different and can be happy in different situations and have different needs. :)

i was wondering this too.. not your situation itself but i was going to ask what rescues would say if asked could a bunny they sent off as a couple could remain single for the rest of its life due to death/a fight.

im fairly sure the hopper haven adoption form states the bunny i have adopted should go back to them if things dont work out, altho it would make my day if i was allowed to keep holly even if she was single, i would honour the rescues wishes even if it broke my heart.
Thats an interesting point-would Dill have to go back to honeybunnies if B died & for any reason I decided not to rebond him[not that I wouldn't rebond him because I think he would curl up & die if he was on own]I cant remember what the providos of the adoption were.
Taking Casper out of the equation,if Dill died first I wouldn't rebond B as she is really not bothered either way about company but if B went first,I would leave Dill alone a few weeks to try & strenghten our bond then find him a new mate.He really needs bunny company.But if their bond broke,that would be another matter.......

if Dill died first I wouldn't rebond B as she is really not bothered either way about company but if B went first,I would leave Dill alone a few weeks to try & strenghten our bond then find him a new mate.He really needs bunny company.But if their bond broke,that would be another matter.......

I'm genuinely curious as to why you'd consider it a different matter if the bond broke? If you perceive that 'he really needs bunny company', then why is it any different if that bunny company is removed through a bond break rather than a bereavement? As far as the bunny is concerned, the outcome (i.e. alone without a friend) is exactly the same, regardless of the circumstance that led to it? I'm not having a go - I'm genuinely interested in the logic.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you'd consider it a different matter if the bond broke? If you perceive that 'he really needs bunny company', then why is it any different if that bunny company is removed through a bond break rather than a bereavement? As far as the bunny is concerned, the outcome (i.e. alone without a friend) is exactly the same, regardless of the circumstance that led to it? I'm not having a go - I'm genuinely interested in the logic.
When I said it would be a different matter if the bond broke I meant it depended on the circumstances of what happened.
I genuinally didn't realise bunnys could just "go off"their partners so thought if they did they were unbondable.Now I know,thanks to you & sky-o,that that isn't the case then obviously I change the above statement-Dill will always have a mate:DHe & B are my first experience with a bonded pair,so any problems that is likely to appear,I am still learning about.Sorry if I got peoples backs up-honestly I didn't know.:)

Last edited:
I didn't even consider Sue going back to BARC after Peggy went to the Bridge (I obviously didn't read the small print in the adoption certificate:oops:). I would have been completely heartbroken if Angie had asked for her back - and I don't think the long journey would have done a bereaved and already poorly bun much good.

I did ask Angie's opinion about taking the risk to bond Sue with my trio. I consult with her on important BARC bunny decisions as I know how much she loves them. I bonded Sue and, in the event, she had bunny company until she herself went to Bridge.

Interesting thread.

Sorry if I got peoples backs up-honestly I didn't know.:)

:) No worries - I can't speak for others, but you didn't get my back up (I'm sure you didn't anyone else's either!), I was just interested to understand, and all of us are on a constant bunny learning curve...glad things are a bit clearer now :D

:) No worries - I can't speak for others, but you didn't get my back up (I'm sure you didn't anyone else's either!), I was just interested to understand, and all of us are on a constant bunny learning curve...glad things are a bit clearer now :D

Definitely not mine either :)

Definitely not mine either :)

or mine :D, my question came from the majority saying they would keep buns separate rather than re-home on the other thread and i wondered how the rescues involved would feel about that as i would never consider breaking the agreement i made with hopper haven when i adopted one of their bunnies :wave:

or mine :D, my question came from the majority saying they would keep buns separate rather than re-home on the other thread and i wondered how the rescues involved would feel about that as i would never consider breaking the agreement i made with hopper haven when i adopted one of their bunnies :wave:

Yes that is why I started this thread really.The other thread made me think & I just wondered what rescues thought.:D
Ive had rabbits all 40years of my life & houserabbits all 18years of my married life but im still learning all the time.As ive only had a bonded pair for two years the whole bonding thing is totally new.What I'm really dreading is the day B dies & I have a grieving bun on my hands aswell as coping with my own grief.Hopefully that wont be for many years to come.

Back