• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elsa's going in for a dental!

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Saw a lovely vet today called Lucy @ Bicester Vets, she was very competent and thorough.

Elsa's going in for her first dental on Thursday, she's also having X-rays in case there's any abscesses and will then be on Metacam and Baytril. She was given injections of both today.

The quote for everything was £200-£250, as a student this is a huge expense but I didn't think twice. The only concern is that if she needs regular dentals from now on I may not be able to afford them and my mum may not be able to provide adequate after care when I'm at uni so as Elsa is an older rabbit I may have to reasses the situation in the future.

For now though I'm pleased that something's being done, I just hope that she copes OK with GA and in the stress of the vets ALL DAY on Thursday!

Can I hope for a perkier bunny by the weekend?!

Hello.

That's great news that she was seen by a good vet. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and her on Thursday. Did she have lots of dental spurrs? Ulcers in her mouth?

As she is such an old bunny and never had a dental before it may be just a one off. When the vet does the x-ray they will be able to look at the condition and quality of her teeth.

As she is not having her dental until Thursday she may still be a bit groggy over the weekend. However, every rabbit is different and she may be fine straight away. In my experience, it is a good idea to stock up on favourite foods and syringes! My rabbits have always loved Hipp Organic Baby Food (Apple and Pear Flavour) as well as chopped up veggies and herbs.

Thank you Tanya, I'll pick up some of the baby food, do you syringe feed it?

I'm hoping that it could be a one off as she has managed to get through 8 years with no problems but time will tell!

Vet couldn't see too clearly, lots of saliva as I'd noticed (very dribbly chin!) but she could see some red bits on her tongue/cheek and said she'd be very surprised if no spurs were found. Also she felt her chin and could feel some bumps so said it'd be a good idea to X-ray for abscesses (fingers crossed it was just bumpy spurs she could feel...)

I will keep you updated as to how she gets on after the dental, I'd just love to see her perk up as she seems very down :(

x

Yes, I syringe feed the baby food. You can add critical care to it but if she is anything like my buns she will prefer the baby food on its own!!

When I had a dental bun he used to get a really sore mouth. The vet suggested that I bought Dettinox (baby version of Bonjella for teething. DO NOT use Bonjella). I had to put a small amount onto a cotton bud and rub it on the inside of my rabbits mouth - to soothe his cheeks. He didn't mind me doing it. ;)

Back