• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone from Scotland

I'm actually moving to Paisley (near Glasgow) in a couple of weeks. Not looking forward to making that journey with the buns

There's quite a few of us then :)

I'm getting my girls in a couple of weeks and can't wait. One is a sooty fawn vm lionhead and the other is a sealpoint lionlop. They will be house bunnies

Hello and Welcome to RU! :wave:

I'm Aberdeen, but have family in Midlothian so down there every now and again. If you're anywhere near Roslin, the Royal Di ck Vet do free lectures and days on rabbit care every now and again, if you're interested I can get the info off my mum as she gets them emailed :D:wave:

Where are you getting your bunnies from?

Hello and Welcome to RU! :wave:

I'm Aberdeen, but have family in Midlothian so down there every now and again. If you're anywhere near Roslin, the Royal Di ck Vet do free lectures and days on rabbit care every now and again, if you're interested I can get the info off my mum as she gets them emailed :D:wave:

Where are you getting your bunnies from?

That would be great, thanks :)

I'm getting my girls from a breeder as I just fell in love with them as soon as I saw them. I just hope that when they have their check up at the vets they are definitely both girls :?

That would be great, thanks :)

I'm getting my girls from a breeder as I just fell in love with them as soon as I saw them. I just hope that when they have their check up at the vets they are definitely both girls :?

I'll get it for you and drop you a PM. :)

Did you know that the best pairing of rabbits is actually a male and female (neutered and spayed) pair? Females don't tend to get on as once they reach maturity and their hormones kick in they start to attack each other :( My current bun, Oidhche, was kept with her sister and they fought badly - when she came into rescue she had big chunks missing from her back and was very aggressive, and a terrible biter. She is now much improved but it has taken a year of one-to-one treatment and she is still sometimes nervous.

I know it's difficult if you have your heart set on a pair already but it's worth considering to avoid problems later. Obviously it's entirely your decision but having seen it more than once I'd rather let you know about it so you can make an informed choice. To avoid hormonal problems you would need to spay both girls, as well as helping with aggression spaying is also recommended to eliminate the risk of ovarian cancer which is 80% + in unspayed does. Please note that even with spaying there is no guarantee that two females will get on.

Whichever bunnies you choose, I would recommend getting a signed confirmation from the breeder to say that they are the sex you think they are, and if not that they will exchange for you. There is also the option of adopting from rescue which means that they will already be sexed, and many rescues neuter and vaccinate as well. I'm not trying to push you either way, just giving you all the facts that I have learned along the bunny way and wish I had known when I started. Either way I'm sure you will wind up with some wonderful buns :D House buns are the best buns too ;):wave:

Thank you for your advice.

I will be getting them both spayed/neutered mainly to alleviate the problems of ovarian cancer.

I have been in contact with quite a few vets over the last couple of days and their advice differs quite a bit. As soon as I get the girls I will be getting them checked and their vaccinations done. Their main op will be in a month or so. I don't like the thought of them having such a big op but know it is necessary.

The breeder is a friend of mine so I'm sure if I have any problems they will be ok with whatever I decide.

I really can't wait and so excited about getting my housebuns :):wave:

Hi Im from Falkirk and run a small rescue here...If you need any advice on anying ask away on here we can be a friendly bunch .

Thank you for your advice.

I will be getting them both spayed/neutered mainly to alleviate the problems of ovarian cancer.

I have been in contact with quite a few vets over the last couple of days and their advice differs quite a bit. As soon as I get the girls I will be getting them checked and their vaccinations done. Their main op will be in a month or so. I don't like the thought of them having such a big op but know it is necessary.

The breeder is a friend of mine so I'm sure if I have any problems they will be ok with whatever I decide.

I really can't wait and so excited about getting my housebuns :):wave:

Sounds like you have really done your research! :D:thumb: You certainly know far more that I did when I started :lol: I hope I didn't sound patronising, just sharing the bits I've learned.

Vets opinions differ quite a bit really, some are better than others. People here tend to go by others experiences, there is a thread somewhere on what makes a good bunny vet, I'll dig it out for you. If you're not already registed with a vet, you can post in Rabbit Chat with 'Bunny vet needed in XXXXX' and people will give you reccomendations. The Di ck Vet is great but they are very expensive, so there may other good vets in your area you wish to use for the basics.

That's great that you know the breeder personally, it should make things a lot easier. Fab that you're getting them spayed straight away, to reassure you, the vast majority of healthy does have no problems with the op. It tends to be older does and those with underlying health problems that don't do as well.

Are your buns going to be free-range or penned in the house? I absolutely love having house buns, I think you develop a much closer bond with them than those kept outside. :love:

I'm from East Lothian. We're are picking up out bunny tomorrow from a breeder in Edinburgh. She's a little orange mini lop. :)

Back