• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help new bunny worried about her

silverspider05

Warren Scout
Hey I recently brought home my rabbit Jakes's new girlfriend Jemima after they had been bonded at Raystede (I brought them home on Sunday). I have discovered she isn't litter box trained (not so much of a problem) but some of her her poops are really squishy and kinda wet in clumps. I'm not sure if this is because she is in a new place with new people around and she now has access to grass all day and she's a little bit stressy/frightened. She has a small amount of excel pellets each day (what she was fed at Raystede and what Jake has been brought up on) and loads of hay available all day, as well as plenty of fresh water. But the most worrying thing I noticed this morning was some of her wee looked almost orangy red?! It doesn't look as though she has been bitten or anything, but its hard to tell because she is still so nervous and is not yet trusting enough to come near me for long, let alone pick her up. Jake is absolutely fine and no problems. I'm wondering if she is really dehydrated? She has worked out where the water bowl is, but I might call my brother to put the water bottle up too for now (I'm at work so will have to get him to check on her!)

The poops you describe are they like a small cluster of grapes? Like tiny shiny poops stuck together in a clump? If so these are Ceacotrophes which bunny should be eating straight from her bum. They sometimes stop eating these due to different reasons, sometimes it is diet related and sometimes health related. I wont go in to too much detail until I hear back as to whether these are the poops or not.
If she is not producing 'normal' feacal pellets like the nice uniform ball, a brown to golden colour and is only producing the squishy clumps then it could well be stress related or it could be health related and would be important to get her checked over by the vet.

Red wee is normal :) The pigments in vegetables mean it changes colour.

As for the squishy poos, she may not be used to grass, is their any way you can fence off the grass for now and juts give her hay instead.

Hey guys thanks for your replies, her poops are all normal now, it was probably just the stress of being in a new place with new people and things, but she is all ok now, happy and taking fenugreek crunchies from my hands yay! She's still a little bit nervy but she is getting used to where she is and everyone so that is good.

Definitely do not worry about red wee. Peach (my last bunny) always seemed to have red wee regardless of what she ate. Really freaked the poor vet out when he saw it!

Back