• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I stop my rabbit from biting the door/scratching the floor?

Roulette

New Kit
My house rabbit is only allowed in one room, which is the kitchen. Thankfully it is very spacious and he has plenty of room to run around. It's rabbit-proof too, with no wires or electrical devices he can reach.

However, he has managed to sneak out of the room when people carelessly left the door ajar on several occassions, and now he has a 'taste' for the house outside the kitchen.

When let out of his cage, after using his litter box, the very first thing he'll do is run to the closed kitchen door and start biting/chewing at it an attempt to pull it open. Of course, since the door is fully closed and not left ajar, he can't budge it, and just ends up damaging it. He also scratches up the lino floor just beneath the door to try and dig under it, and has damaged it as a result.
It's become extremely annoying, not only because his attempts are hopelessly futile, but because of the damage he's doing and how aggresive he becomes if you try to stop him. Trying to nudge or push him out of the way will result in an angry grunt or an attempt to bite, and while telling him a stern 'NO' will make him pause and go away from the door briefly, he always returns.

Offering toys or treats can serve as a distraction for a short while, but eventually he'll always go back to the door to try and pull it open.

Is there any way of fixing this frustrating problem?

Doubt it, from what I've read on here in the past.

However, to limit damage could you fix some clear perspex on the lower half of the door to protect that and perhaps some sort of mat on the floor? At least the mat is replaceable and the perspex although will get scratched, won't need replacing too often.

My house rabbit is only allowed in one room, which is the kitchen. Thankfully it is very spacious and he has plenty of room to run around. It's rabbit-proof too, with no wires or electrical devices he can reach.

However, he has managed to sneak out of the room when people carelessly left the door ajar on several occassions, and now he has a 'taste' for the house outside the kitchen.

When let out of his cage, after using his litter box, the very first thing he'll do is run to the closed kitchen door and start biting/chewing at it an attempt to pull it open. Of course, since the door is fully closed and not left ajar, he can't budge it, and just ends up damaging it. He also scratches up the lino floor just beneath the door to try and dig under it, and has damaged it as a result.
It's become extremely annoying, not only because his attempts are hopelessly futile, but because of the damage he's doing and how aggresive he becomes if you try to stop him. Trying to nudge or push him out of the way will result in an angry grunt or an attempt to bite, and while telling him a stern 'NO' will make him pause and go away from the door briefly, he always returns.

Offering toys or treats can serve as a distraction for a short while, but eventually he'll always go back to the door to try and pull it open.

Is there any way of fixing this frustrating problem?

He's bored. He knows there is more space, and wants to do what a bunny does. Thats explore and be curious and interested.

Is tehre any chance you could allow him supervised additional time in other areas of the house as well as the kitchen?

He's bored. He knows there is more space, and wants to do what a bunny does. Thats explore and be curious and interested.

Is tehre any chance you could allow him supervised additional time in other areas of the house as well as the kitchen?

I'm afraid not. I'd love to be able to let him into other rooms in the house, but unfortunately no matter how many times I've tried to reason with them, my familly are dead-set against it.

Can you get him a friend? Is he neutered? How big is the room? Does he have toys? Does he have bits of fresh wood to chew on? Apple branches work particularly well and bunnies love them fresh though it's not really the time for pruning big branches wth apples, more the leafy growth.

Can you get him a friend? Is he neutered? How big is the room? Does he have toys? Does he have bits of fresh wood to chew on? Apple branches work particularly well and bunnies love them fresh though it's not really the time for pruning big branches wth apples, more the leafy growth.

- No. I can't afford to keep two rabbits.
- Yes, he's neutered.
- Yes, he has plenty of toys, though he usually ignores them.
- The room includes both the kitchen and the utility room, which is more or less the whole length of the house. So as I said, there's plenty of space to run around.
- Yes, he has fresh wood and branches to chew on, but again, he generally ignores them.

Are they actually fresh though? Straight off a tree? Or have they been sitting in a shop? Mine won't chew on old wood, they like it fresh. Its a shame you can't afford another rabbit, they ideally need to be kept in pairs or they do get lonely and therefore destructive. :(

I think he's bored and would be much happier and more settled if he had a neutered doe as a companion (most rabbits are happier in pairs).

I agree, my rabbit used to have the run of the kitchen and liked to get into the rest of the house. Since having her husbunny Bryon she's no where near interested and in fact tonight was their first time in the lounge together and she didn't try to get out or even go down the back of the sofa - which was a real pain. There is nothing like one bunny having another bunny to sit with, curl up with and spend hours adoringly watching each other.

Mjs the same, he has access to almost all of the house but still wants to be nosey and explore the rest, think its just their nature, i haven't found a way to stop it yet, tried putting a rubber mat down but he destroys it. hoping getting him a friend will stop it

my rabbit used to be the same, chewing everything but the chew toys we got him! what you need is a spray from pets at home, it leaves a bitter taste on whereever you spray it. it dosent smell, and it doesent ruin/mark sofas/carpets etc. its really good and worked wonders to stop him chewing the rug and coffee table! cant remeber what its called exactly but ul find it in the rabbit section, or ask if not. see how you get on with that!:)

Back