• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do people give myxomatosis vaccination?

honeybunny11

Young Bun
I live in the Liverpool area.

I usually give my buns the vaccination once a year - but should I do it every six months?

I haven't heard of any outbreak in my area, they are all indoor buns and I don't have a cat/dog.

However, I live on an estate near a sports centre/park with a small lake that people fish in - don't know if this counts as a high risk? *There doesn't appear to be any wild rabbits.

Just wondered how often other members vaccinate their rabbits?

Many Thanks!
:D

Last edited:
I live in the Liverpool area.

I usually give my buns the vaccination once a year - but should I do it every six months?

I haven't heard of any outbreak in my area, they are all indoor buns and I don't have a cat/dog.

However, I live on an estate near a sports centre/park with a small lake that people fish in - don't know if this counts as a high risk? *There doesn't appear to be any wild rabbits.

Just wondered how often other members vaccinate their rabbits?

Many Thanks!
:D

Hey, I live in the Shropshire area, slightly into the country, and my bun Benji has to have his every 6 months just to be on the safe side, it gives me peace of mind too :)

My vets recommended this to me however, have yours mentioned just the one a year or 2?

:)

they have said twice - but wasn't sure if I did need to do this if I am in a low risk area?But don't know if the Liverpool area counts as a low risk or not.:?

I personally don't think anywhere in the UK is really a low risk area any more - too many mozzies all year round! If you live near a fishing lake, there's no way I'd risk an annual vaccination, and I wouldn't take much notice of the fact that they're housebuns either - mozzies fly in through open windows and doors just as easily as they can buzz around outside. For the sake of an extra £20-ish per year, I'd definitely get them done twice :)

Will have to put my mind at rest and get it done - I have 3 buns but it helps that each one is due at different times (now, Sept and Nov) so that it's not £60 in one go I suppose. :)

btw 'they' refers to the question Lilgems asked - (about my vets) :)

My vet's told me twice a year and VHD once a year. That reminds me - they're now due for the latter so must get them booked in this month.

My vets only say once a year. And I live near a field with myxi rabbits in it at the moment. Both vets in my town are the same, they say once a year. Mine have just been done but when it gets to six months I might ask for them to be done again.

Twice a year. I'd be wary of any vets who say once a year gives adequate protection.

Back