• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If your rabbits bond broke and you couldn't keep them seperately

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
who would you rehome and why?

mine are tiffing at the moment and although I'm 99.9% sure they'll come through it, I must admit it crossed my mind.

I'd rehome Tapla, the grey and white one. She's 'prettier' and she'd be snapped up. Nena would be stuck at the centre for ages if I had to rehome her. I love them both equal and that's the only way I can decide.

I know you probably don't want to contemplate it but sometimes these things happen - mine have been happily neutered and bonded for just over 2 years and they've fought twice (this being the 2nd time). Last time they made up in a few days and mine are making up now, but still.

If the 0.1% probability of them not making up happened, I couldn't house them separately - it's not my house it's my moms. I'd have to rehome one and get a new bonded pair for them.

But yeah, who would you rehome and why?

If Sox and Jazzy fell out I would find a way to keep them seperate. But lets pretend I couldn't, I'd have to rehome Jazzy. Sox is my best friend, my soul bunny. I couldn't be without him. He's my special baby :(

I could not choose.
Penny is my first bunny and thats the reason she is very special to me <3 I have had her for 5 years x
But
Russell is my baby boy, who I take around the country for rabbit jumping and I could never say goodbye to him after all we have been through together <3

White hood have you tried giving them a break and re bonding a month or so later, mine tend to have a spat and I break the group then put them back together at a later date and everything is fine. Im sure you have looked at all the options, but still... always worth another try

I think I would make a plan somehow.....but if you feel you cant...then I'd have to rehome to a relative...then I would be able to see them and know they are safe. Im ot sure how I would be able to choose...but I guess it depends on their needs...if one is more confident than the other...or has less eating probs etc...then I'd feel they would be able to cope better with a move. I could not rehome to someone who I didnt know or would not see.

I wouldn't rehome any of them. If I was advising someone else, I would say the one who would cope best in a rescue and the one who would be reasiest to rehome, not the one you like the least.

If I had to keep all 16 separate then I would find a way. End of.

I don't think I could choose; I'd have to find a way to keep them both. Have you tried talking to your mum about the predicament, or are you just assuming that there's no way she'd let you keep them both apart?

If I absolutely had to make a choice though, I think I would rehome Bubbles as she would bond more easily than Alfie I think as she is very accepting of other bunnies whereas Alfie is quite dominant.

Id find a way to keep them all, no question.

Mimi and Charlotte have already done a stint in a rescue so I couldnt put themthrough it again. Max is full of attitude and can be grumpy so he might be difficult to rehome. Timmy would bethe easiest to rehome as he is so sweet natured but even the thought of leaving him breaks my heart.

Theyre my family, i couldnt rehome any of them (sorry if thats a cop out!) :oops:

Wouldn't have to as before I get any rabbit I make sure if it went wrong I could house them alone. I had my 5 at one point all in different rooms when they split, my poor funature suffered.

i couldn't. i didn't.

i'd find a way to keep both - there's always a way round things that mean so much to you.

i have 2 very happy singles:)

Well I think I'd probably keep one indoors and one outdoors if they really fell out that bad. The only problem with that is neither would be able to get another bonded partner as I wouldn't be allowed to get an extra two.

I honestly don't know. My O/H would never give up Maisie, and I would never give up Marvin :?

I would hope to never find myself in the situation where I wouldn't be able to bond them both to other bunnies, but I can understand that there are some circumstances where rehoming would be an unselfish thing to do and would be in the best interests of the bunnies. I know we can be terribly judgemental about people who put bunnies into rescue but actually, sometimes, I do think it's the right thing to do if due to changing circumstances you're genuinely unable to meet the needs of the bunnies with respect to space, companionship etc.

In which case, I would probably advertise them both initially, in the hope that one or the other would find a perfect partner directly from my home - and then I would let go whichever one found the right (not necessarily the first!) home first. If it wasn't possible to keep them at home until one could be rehomed, I would, in discussion with the rescue, work out which one would be the most suitable for rehoming (e.g. based on health, age, looks, likelihood of rehoming) and would cope best alone in rescue for an interim period of time.

i hhad this situation last year. both my girls were fighting but both were happy with buddy. it got to the stage where i was at my wits end. i also believe once you get a pet it is your responsibility, i couldn't contamplate 'gettng rid'.

however a friend of mine on here was thinking of taking one of my girls as she had lost hers and had a male on his own. she was the only person in the world i would have let one of them go to. when she said no i decided i would either bring one of the girls inside as a house bun or split and get another male..

if i'd gone for the house bun i would have brought Blousy in, she loves space and is very independant and think she would be a good house bun.. if i'd split i would have left Blousy with Buddy and got Lula another mate as Blousy i think would be hard to re bond with another and Lula is very chilled and would make an easier bond.

glad i never had to make that decision. :D

Back