• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tips for trimming nails

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
cant remember if your refer to a rabbits nails as their claws?

Anyway, havnt ever trimmed rabbit nails before. Theres a lady over the road who does a fab job for £5 but thought it would be worth while trying to do it myself.

Well i tried earlier on and ended up chickening out of it :roll:

JaJa didnt seem to want to sit still and when i did look at his nails i couldnt really see the quick so i just left it.

I have been shown how to do it, but dont think im confident enough.

Anyone have any good tips or maybe i should give up and just carry on with the lady across the road?

:wave: i bit the bullet and im quite the nail trimmer now (once you have trimmed rats nails, buns are easy ;) )

if you are nervous of cutting too low i would advise little and often. maybe keep them a little longer but trim them on a regular basis. jasper has black nails so i cant see the quick, so i trim a little bit at a time. the key is to get someone to hold them, this is not a one person job :)

I can only do front paws, the vet does the back 2. I kneel on the ground and get them inbetween my legs so they cant move then lift their paws up. :wave:

I just did mine tonight. I towelled them up as if I was going to give meds, then pulled out one leg at a time.

If they're loose, they just kick me to pieces then escape unclipped :lol:

Don't forget a treat afterwards to apologise! mine have had more than their usual ration of fenugreek crunchies :lol:

:wave: i bit the bullet and im quite the nail trimmer now (once you have trimmed rats nails, buns are easy ;) )

if you are nervous of cutting too low i would advise little and often. maybe keep them a little longer but trim them on a regular basis. jasper has black nails so i cant see the quick, so i trim a little bit at a time. the key is to get someone to hold them, this is not a one person job :)

ahh see, i was trying it on my own. Will just the very tips do each time then (1mm)?

ATM his nails are not longer then his paw fur, just a wee bit shorter.

My tip is... ask the vet to do it :lol:

I have tried once, he kept hoping away :roll:

:lol: thats what JaJa was like tonight, dont want to stress him out.

I dont even cut my sons nails, get the OH to do it.

Best i stick with my lady across the road :lol:

ahh see, i was trying it on my own. Will just the very tips do each time then (1mm)?

ATM his nails are not longer then his paw fur, just a wee bit shorter.

that is a good length in my eyes, thats where i trim jaspers to anyway and in 2 years i think i would know if it was an issue :)

the tips are all you have to take off if you do it regularly enough :)

:lol: thats what JaJa was like tonight, dont want to stress him out.

I dont even cut my sons nails, get the OH to do it.

Best i stick with my lady across the road :lol:

trust me bite the bullet, think how much money you will save in your buns life time :) im all about the savings me ;)

that is a good length in my eyes, thats where i trim jaspers to anyway

Remember it depends on the type of fur though ;)

Apache isn't a long haired rabbit as such but his fur is much longer than Skye's, if his nails approach the end of his paw fur they're much too long.

lousilverfox, are your rabbits' nails dark or light? If they're dark, you can sometimes arrange the rabbitith a small torch under its paw, shines through so you can see where the quick is to avoid cutting too far :) Again, you'll need two people though. :)

Remember it depends on the type of fur though ;)

Apache isn't a long haired rabbit as such but his fur is much longer than Skye's, if his nails approach the end of his paw fur they're much too long.

lousilverfox, are your rabbits' nails dark or light? If they're dark, you can sometimes arrange the rabbitith a small torch under its paw, shines through so you can see where the quick is to avoid cutting too far :) Again, you'll need two people though. :)

i honestly cant remember :oops: head like a sieve

will check again tomorow and get OH to help :)

Ta for tips :D

The only problem I have is not knowing if they should be shorter :? I need someone to check the length for me, especially the back nails and especially my mini rex.

Back