• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you think it could be EC?

tilly2484

Warren Scout
Today muffin has been weak on his back legs. One of his eyes looks quite sore and bloodshot. I have also been away since Friday so it was just my partner here and when I picked muffin up he seems to have lost weight. He seems to be eating slowly and drinking slower than normal. Also on their brown blanket there seems to be a white cloudy wee stain but I can't be certain if it's urine. He is off to the vet tomorrow but do you think it sounds like EC? i want to go into the vets with some questions etc so I'm prepared. Thanks.

Does sound a bit suss sadly :( hind leg weakness is one of the symptoms, don't panic until you've talked to a vet though. :)

it is EC:( He also think he could have lost his sight. There is no reflex in one of them and the one which looks sore does have a bit of reflex. He said he seems to have an absess under the eye and around his chin:cry:

he will be staying in for a few days, needs to be on pain relief, IV foods and given Fenbendazole.

Vet said obv EC is very bad but he said Muffin doesn't seem as bad as some of the others he has dealt with. I'm just praying he will be ok. My vet is excellent and trust that he will do everything he can.

Anyone had buns get through EC?

Please send Vibes for muffin

xx

Started Poppy on 9 days of panacur today as a precaution. Does anyone know if I need to do my 2 cats? The buns are house rabbits so they all hang around together.

From what I've read to treat EC Panacur needs to be for at least 28 days, the 9 day course is more for worming.

Update from Vet: muffin is doing well. He is eating well and his guts etc seem fine. No change in his sight yet. He is stronger on his legs and is sitting in proper bunny stance now.
He is on IV fluids and antibiotics. Starting on panacur. Not metacam yet but vet said prob will do tomorrow.
Hoping he continues to get stronger. Cannot lose my baby x

My baby Muffin died this morning. It's a bit of a blur as I had to hand the phone to my partner as I broke down.

he has been improving and was hopping about and everything. Then this morning the Vet and nurses were in the prep room and heard a big squeal and muffin just collapsed. They tried to revive him but he was gone. They think it was either a heart attack or blot clot caused by the infection in his eye.

I don't really know what to say. I feel sick and lost. Poppy is missing him. Daisy one of our cats is snuggled with Poppy- it's like she knows he has gone so she is looking after Poppy.

I'll do a tribute for Muffin.

My baby Muffin died this morning. It's a bit of a blur as I had to hand the phone to my partner as I broke down.

he has been improving and was hopping about and everything. Then this morning the Vet and nurses were in the prep room and heard a big squeal and muffin just collapsed. They tried to revive him but he was gone. They think it was either a heart attack or blot clot caused by the infection in his eye.

I don't really know what to say. I feel sick and lost. Poppy is missing him. Daisy one of our cats is snuggled with Poppy- it's like she knows he has gone so she is looking after Poppy.

I'll do a tribute for Muffin.

*big hug*

hun were all here for you

I am so sorry xxx

Back