• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not eating

He's not eating or pooing. I tried to give him different food but he's uninterested. He'll take a bite then leave it alone. He isn't active at all anymore it's been 4 days. I don't know what to do. I feel awful, like I didn't give him the care he needs.

He's not eating or pooing. I tried to give him different food but he's uninterested. He'll take a bite then leave it alone. He isn't active at all anymore it's been 4 days. I don't know what to do. I feel awful, like I didn't give him the care he needs.

Has he seen a vet ?

Take him to a vet and he will get the care he needs. There are important things that can only be checked properly by a vet. They can give drugs which in a lot of cases will have your bunny eating again within the hour.

Definitely take him to a vet! 2 of my rabbits had something similar; they usually give them pain relief and gut stimulants. I've also been given some recovery feed to give them once they have seen a vet. Hope your bunny is okay.

A rabbits digestion system is designed around a constant flow of food so it is important he sees a vet as once a rabbit stops eating it is important they start again asap before the whole system shuts down.

There are several things that could cause it but a vet will be able to diagnose and hopefully treat

When you say four days do you mean bunny hasn't been eating for four days? Or lethargic for four days? In any case bunny needs a vet, if it been that long since bunny ate bunny needs a vet ASAP. When rabbits stop eating it can be very difficult to get them started again so vet treatment as soon as possible!

Back