• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Educational event ideas please

luvabun

Warren Veteran
:wave: Brainstorming ideas here please. It's lovely to attend fund-raising/ educational bunny events and meet fellow RU members. You lot are totally barking but lovely (group hug)

However, I would also like to attract the.... how can I put this politely.... less bunny savvy owner to such an event. It would be great if we could help spread the word of responsible, caring bunny ownership to more people. Just imagine if more people "got it" like us ;)

So, does anyone have any ideas on how we can draw your average bunny owner into a bunny event? Has anyone hosted a stall at a more general event and found that to be effective in educating/ fundraising?

Free stuff! Could you get a pet store on board to offer some small give-aways to the first 20 visitors or something?

Prizes - as above really

Demos/examples: I'm not sure what your event is, or how feasable this Is, but a nicely painted hutch and run combo to show off, with some toys in would probably amaze some people.

Wll try and think of more...

Are you an RWAF member? They do rabbit awareness days at pet stores etc. have a look on their website for ideas :)

No I'm not. I was but cancelled my membership when I realised our ideas differed. I'm not going to go into that as I want this to be a positive ideas thread, not a slanging match.

I'm looking for initiatives that have worked and made a difference.

Last edited:
Free stuff! Could you get a pet store on board to offer some small give-aways to the first 20 visitors or something?
:wave:I hosted an event and had a Vet doing free health checks for bunnies. I envisaged the queue going round the block (Antiques Roadshow style:oops:) ...... only one couple turned up with a bunny :(

Plus I had quite a few giveaways from a reputable food producer

I had a free health check for my bunny earlier this year when they were doing that thing - RAW month I think it was. It was really helpful to me. Unfortunately we moved otherwise I'd love to have kept that vet for Bumble

Ruthie xxx

Sorry if I've not been specific enough in that I/ we have access to a ton of wonderful educational material..... it's getting Joe Publics butt through the door that's the issue

I had a free health check for my bunny earlier this year when they were doing that thing - RAW month I think it was. It was really helpful to me. Unfortunately we moved otherwise I'd love to have kept that vet for Bumble

Ruthie xxx

:wave: Was that at the Vets or an event?

It was at a vets sorry I'm not very good with event ideas. I did wonder how many people would go to the free bunny health checks like if it's free people love it but then how many people with bunnies would know about these things and be that bothered to go?

Ruthie xxx

It was at a vets sorry I'm not very good with event ideas. I did wonder how many people would go to the free bunny health checks like if it's free people love it but then how many people with bunnies would know about these things and be that bothered to go?

Ruthie xxx

For my event (with the free health check) I advertised in tons of places within a 10 mile radius (got to be fair to the Vet doing the checking) - car park notice boards, Post Office windows, shop and station notice boards, vets, the venue notice board amongst others

That is a real shame that only one bunny turned up I don't know why when it was so publicised

Ruthie xxx

This is my big question. I'm happy to fund another event (and welcome all the barking RU bunny owning members ;) ) but I want to reach out to Joe Public who has his/ her bunny in a 3 -4 foot hutch, single, given muesli etc.

I thought the charity stand at the Harrogate small animal show was good. They were getting kids to make willow balls and toys to stuff with hay - all free to take home. The stand behind had examples of good housing and diet for a variety of small furries.

Advertise free stuff for kids to do during the holidays or at weekends and it should attract a wider audience. Also targets kids who may then nag parents into better bunny care habits. Win-win.

Previously I contacted a few companies and got loads of free samples to give out. Free exciting things always entice people over, and then you can talk to them and give them info leaflets too.

I think maybe rather than advertising as a 'bunny event' I'd advertise as a fun family event and give it a rabbit theme without making it too much about rabbit welfare. Then educate sneakily ;)

Things like guess the number of poops in a jar, but make it the number of poops a rabbit does in a week and then that's a fact you've snuck in.

You could have one of those stalls you throw things at to win with different different vegetables that rabbits can eat instead of coconuts.

Maybe build a giant size hutch for kids to play in with a bit of hay etc. and use that as an icebreaker for discussing exercise. Remote control rabbits in an exercise run.

Scatter posters with one liners about rabbits care/facts around the event and give everyone a quiz on the way in, with a prize draw for all the correct answers handed in at the end.

It depends on the type and scale of event you want to do though. You might do better budget wise joining in someone elses.

Back