• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milo

karen1980

Mama Doe
He's been here 2 weeks now and settled in so that he's happy but I am not :cry:

He's gone from being a licky groomy bunny to snubbing me.

He pee's on the sofa all over the front room so that I cannot let him out to be trusted.

He's so independant and runs around ignoring us.

Im so upset, I hate to compare but I guess I wanted a bunny that wanted me and he doesnt.

Ive tried to contact his old owner and am hoping that they are just on hols as I havent heard back from them.

Im waiting for his vacc's book.

Ive just insured him and them am going to get him done and if it doesnt improve im going to have to re-home him :(

It feels mean but I dont know what else to do, I should have just bought a baby and then at least I'd have had an influence on his behaviour.

Aww I'm sorry to hear that :( I have heard that a lot of giants are quite stand-offish though :? He might improve after neutering though so don't despair just yet xx

Sorry to hear this. Is it the lack of affection that is bothering you, or the wee problem? As ripminnie said, give it time. He's surely still getting used to his new life. Hugs x

Lily was an absolute darling my soul mate and I know he wouldnt be her but I didnt bargain for this either. :oops:

I think he's used to his own company and doesnt appreciate what humans offer him.

Ive insured him in case the vets do find anything when he's neutered and I can always cancel it but im miserable and cannot go on like this.

Hate t say it but i'd rather have no bunny that what im dealing with right now.:cry:

Lily was an absolute darling my soul mate and I know he wouldnt be her but I didnt bargain for this either. :oops:

I think he's used to his own company and doesnt appreciate what humans offer him.

Ive insured him in case the vets do find anything when he's neutered and I can always cancel it but im miserable and cannot go on like this.

Hate t say it but i'd rather have no bunny that what im dealing with right now.:cry:

I think with any new bun, he/she isn't going to be perfectly trained straight away. And it was weeks, if not months, before my bun Bunny was friendly with us. If you see things from Milo's point of view, it must all seem very new and strange. But if you are gentle with him, and take it slowly, I'm suRe he will get used to you and his new surroundings in time. 2 weeks isn't long really.

I think you were hoping he would be just like your lovely Lily, but he has his own personality just like any bunny. You just need time to get to know each other :)

Karen, I know how much losing Lily affected you, so I want to be gentle in my answer, but invariably I'll probably fail.

I think it's unfair on Milo to rehome him just because he isn't how you want him. He is a living being...with his own personality. He isn't Lily....he's Milo. If you're looking for a bun to be the same as Lily then I'm afraid it's never going to happen. No two bunnies are the same.

You need to accept Milo for Milo. Let him come out of his shell. You said he's incredibly happy with you. How would you feel knowing that you gave him all that happiness and now, because he isn't "perfect" you're taking it all away. Isn't it lovely to watch him being so happy?

Why can't you accept and love him for who he is? :cry:

I think you need to give him time, I'm sorry he's not 'what you wanted' :(

I know it sounds awful but its true, I was under the impression from discussions that he was a friendly chap etc.. but he's not as described, lesson learnt there for me.

Maybe im being harsher becasue Lily was so perfect but I dont ever recall her peeing all over the house even when she wasnt speyed and its all he seems to do :?

Karen Blue peed all over everything of ours until he was neutered so you may find that stops when he's done.

Big hugs lily sounds temprement wise exactly like Blue was always loving company of us and just my shadow most ofthe time. It's v hard when you have a totally special bun go. It's perfectly normal to start comparing them I'm guilty of it too. Blackjack is so nervous and i find myself comparing him to Blue as I did with Magnum. But then I think that actually I wouldn't like a bun exactly like him, he was special and unique and I will always cherish that memory. Bigggg hugs xxx

Karen, I know how much losing Lily affected you, so I want to be gentle in my answer, but invariably I'll probably fail.

I think it's unfair on Milo to rehome him just because he isn't how you want him. He is a living being...with his own personality. He isn't Lily....he's Milo. If you're looking for a bun to be the same as Lily then I'm afraid it's never going to happen. No two bunnies are the same.

You need to accept Milo for Milo. Let him come out of his shell. You said he's incredibly happy with you. How would you feel knowing that you gave him all that happiness and now, because he isn't "perfect" you're taking it all away. Isn't it lovely to watch him being so happy?

Because my house stinks of bunny pee and bunny poop :cry:

Hubby was right I should have just let things be and not got another bunny

I can accept the not friendly to a certain extent but he feels like a stranger here, many people here post about their new buns and how much they love them and I hate coming home at the moment for all the mess he's going to make, thats not fair on either of us.

I never once felt that about Lily not once

can you move him outside into a shed? i really dont think its fair to rehome him when he's happy just because he's not 'perfect' like lily :( but it not up to me and at i'm sure you'll make whatever desiscion you feel right for milo and you x

The spraying is probably because he is male. My unspayed buck is litter-trained and yet still has occassions when he gets over excited and sprays. Whereas my females (also unspayed as too young) never spray. Im sure it will stop when he has been neutered :)

Hey hun, I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation, but you loved Lily so very much, maybe it will just take you time to bond with Milo?

Before Feegal was neutered he peed everywhere, including o/h's eye. It stopped almost immediately after he was castrated.

Do you think your feelings towards Lily are stopping you from bonding with Milo?

Also it takes a while to fall in love with a new bun sometimes. But if you feel you really can't have him in the house then the best thing would be to re-home, or bond to an outdoor bun?

Holly did this to me when she first came home, she hasn't peed for almost a year now and she loves fuss... i think they feel the need to put us in our place but he will warm to you eventually.

as for getting a baby so you can make them into your dream bunny, that don't work neither, i had Alvin from 8 weeks old and it took him 3 years to stop human hating enough to accept me :wave:

Hey, if it makes you feel any btr. One of my male rabbits (Dylan) done the exact same! Chloe was yellow!!! I tried grooming her, washing her but nope, she was stained yellow! He peed everywhere, as soon as I got him neutered, he stopped, and has never done it again. He is now 2. It does just take time. All 4 of my rabbits are different from each other. He'll soon calm down once he's been done. If he was treated badly before, he'll be a bit nervous of humans as his only experience could have been "they are only bad to you" he'll not be used to someone giving him so much attention. Once he learns he can trust you and you won't hurt him, things will be fine. :)

I agree 100% with this.

You need to look for why he is behaving and acting like this. Some of it you may be causing because he will feel the negativity you feel about him.

You're clearly still grieving for Lily, but Milo doesn't deserve to be treated this way just because you're still grieving for Lily. It's not his fault. He is just a bunny who has come into a home, and apparently not even his forever home. It's down to you to make the effort with him, not the other way around.

If he is traumered, which he may well be, then 'giving up on him' is not going to help him one little bit, but giving him time, care, don't judge him, etc, that can help an awful lot.

That all said, if you can't accept him for who he is then he will be better off with someone that will focus on him and not on themself and can give him the true home he deserves.

Also if you get a baby you have no control over they turn into. I have 7 here that were bred here and only know here but they are 7 completely different bunnies, some independent, some standoffish, some interested, one nippy, some snuggly, some destructive, etc and all in 7 different combinations.

If you can't accept one bunny for who he is then you seriously need to have a think about whether or not it's appropriate to take on any more bunnies whilst you have this current mindset.

I'm sorry, that probably all sounds really harsh. It's not meant to, and I know you're grieving, I'm just gutted for Milo to be so rejected purely because you want him to be something he can never be, and you're missing out on all the awesome things he is because you're too busy seeing the negatives and the differences.

My Olly used to pee everywhere too, then all of a sudden one day he decided to be a clean boy and just go in one place! It was after neutering admittedly, and also after he'd settled into his new home. Don't give up on Milo yet x

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That, 100% that

Poor Milo :cry:

I agree 100% with this.

You need to look for why he is behaving and acting like this. Some of it you may be causing because he will feel the negativity you feel about him.

You're clearly still grieving for Lily, but Milo doesn't deserve to be treated this way just because you're still grieving for Lily. It's not his fault. He is just a bunny who has come into a home, and apparently not even his forever home. It's down to you to make the effort with him, not the other way around.

If he is traumered, which he may well be, then 'giving up on him' is not going to help him one little bit, but giving him time, care, don't judge him, etc, that can help an awful lot.

That all said, if you can't accept him for who he is then he will be better off with someone that will focus on him and not on themself and can give him the true home he deserves.

Also if you get a baby you have no control over they turn into. I have 7 here that were bred here and only know here but they are 7 completely different bunnies, some independent, some standoffish, some interested, one nippy, some snuggly, some destructive, etc and all in 7 different combinations.

If you can't accept one bunny for who he is then you seriously need to have a think about whether or not it's appropriate to take on any more bunnies whilst you have this current mindset.

I'm sorry, that probably all sounds really harsh. It's not meant to, and I know you're grieving, I'm just gutted for Milo to be so rejected purely because you want him to be something he can never be, and you're missing out on all the awesome things he is because you're too busy seeing the negatives and the differences.

Sky its not so much the non human contact but the peeing everywhere.

I did state that if we do decide to rehome him we wont be taking in another bunny and I do agree with what you said about him deserving a home of 100% love hence if I cannot offer him it thats why im suggesting I may need to rehome him as it isnt fair on him.

Lily was clearly one of a kind perhaps more that I first thought :cry::cry:

Sky its not so much the non human contact but the peeing everywhere.

I did state that if we do decide to rehome him we wont be taking in another bunny and I do agree with what you said about him deserving a home of 100% love hence if I cannot offer him it thats why im suggesting I may need to rehome him as it isnt fair on him.

Lily was clearly one of a kind perhaps more that I first thought :cry::cry:

I really think you're putting too much on Lily. She was special, yes. But so is every other bunny, just all in different ways.

Maybe we can tackle the peeing.

Can you talk us through what he does? What you do when he does it, etc? Exactly where he does it? (like specifically where someone sits, etc)

Back