• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair fighting - advice needed urgently

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Urgh :( They're having one of those moments where they have a huge fight for no apparent reason. They've been bonded for nearly 2 years and both neutered girlies (sisters). They're currently out in the garden resting under the hedge, but fight whenever they're not eating/resting.

Gonna leave it another hour or two since there's long periods of not fighting but then they'll start trying to be dominant and I watch carefully, then break it up as soon as anyone boxes/bites.

Been going on about an hour now.

I didn't see what started it, I'd nipped to the loo :(

Gonna see what happens and if they're still at it, go for a drive in the car.

EDIT: they only have one of these tiffs about once every 8 months or so, I know a lot of other bonded pairs do. It's just a tiff over dominance, as they both separate for a bit to rest/eat/drink and then start to decide they need to have it out with each other again.

Last edited:
Describe what you are seeing when you say fighting? Fur pulling, chasing, topping and tailing? Hanging on? Shreiking?

Describe what you are seeing when you say fighting? Fur pulling, chasing, topping and tailing? Hanging on? Shreiking?

One will begin to chase the other with her tail up, she reaches the other one and starts to circle which they do for about 5 secs before launching at each others sides/belly/ears. They will also alternatively box instead of launching.

Both have their tails up. No shrieking yet (thank god) but if one grabs a hold of the others belly she does hold on, but it's only fur. It's not a fully fledged hate-fight (they did have one massive fight before they were neutered, so I know it's not *as bad* as that).

No injuries as of yet, it's just fur coming out.

I'm always nearby if they approach each other and let them have a little circle or hump but as soon as anyone starts to bite/box I break it up with a broom.

At this point they separate to other sides of the garden for 30 mins or so.

I tried putting them back in their shed and feeding pellets - they happily ate them but as soon as they were done with them they started up again. They happily lie within 2 metres of each other while resting but as soon as they're done resting the one will harrass the other. Going to see what happens next time, otherwise they're going straight in their carrier for a 30 minute drive with some half-loud music on.

I should mention they've only approached each other 3/4 times - it's not constant and it's not as if I'm letting them have a prolonged and stressful fight. They're happily accepting noserubs when I approach them to ensure they're okay and teeth chatter too.

I find this to be quite upsetting when siblings fight.

This is one reason I am actually wary of rehoming siblings sometimes to new owners because in my experience, this seems to happen and isn't uncommon; could be disasterous when the new owners is unfamiliar with acceptable and problem rabbit behaviour. I have my own siblings and family members who do spat often but for now I am leaving them as they are. I also have two sets of bunnies that are siblings up for adoption and they too aren't as settled as 'bonded' strangers.

If these were my rabbits, I think by now I'd actually be considering splitting.

I am not sure that having them out and about in the garden is going to help diffuse matters.

Taking them for a drive is always a very good bonding trick, but dependent on how the fighting/chasing continues I would probably be reassesing the relationship if it has gets to be a regular occurance.

Do you have visitors to the garden that leave scent (rabbit/cat/fox/hedgehog) that could be setting them off and giving them the desire to protect their territory?

Could one of them be poorly or overly hot and not want to be bothered by the other? Being under the weather often sees rabbits kicking off to see of anyone when they are feeling vulnerable.

I hope it settles.

Went for a 30 minute drive and waited until they were well and truly snuggled upt o bring them back. Put them in their shed and let them get out the carrier by themselves, sat in there with them for 30 mins. Tapla was willing to eat, Nena ate fenugreek crunchies and pellets but no veg (assume she's just a bit stressed). Both ate slower than normal, but again I think it's stress as I gave them a good look over before I took them in the car and the only problem is Nena has a cut on her ear.

Currently locked them in their shed as I do at night and sitting on the garden table outside so I can hear any bad signs. Nice and quiet atm apart from shuffling etc.

They flopped by each other twice which is when I left them to it.

As to why -

I accidently left their run hole uncovered last night so they had access to their run at night, when they are usually locked in the shed with the access covered. There are visible spray marks inside where they've sprayed the walls. They didn't fight at all until I let them out this afternoon to play, and then they were fine for 2 hours when it started.

I think it's: 1) they were let out all night which confused/scared them. 2) they perhaps smelt another animal (really the only animal it could have been is a cat, we've never had foxes/hedgies/wild buns. my buns have met cats before but aren't 100% comfy with them). 3) one of them must have been in contact with something that smelt like the scary animal - possibly rubbed up against something that the cat (?) had rubbed against which triggered it?

I'm going to stay out here until gone 10pm, and check at several points during the night.

Thanks for your help, hoping they behave now. This is so unlike them, it's happened twice in 2 years and urgh it's so horrible to see them like this :(

Oh forgot to say - neither looks or is acting ill (well they look a bit ****** off now!) but they may have been getting hot. They did have a good romp around the garden and although the sun hasn't been out today it's been a little muggy so it's probably just a combo of everything imo.

Have they actually drawn blood?

Nena has a little nick on her ear as the result of the last little scuffle they had, put them straight in their carrier for a car ride after that happened. It's very small and barely bled, but I feel awful. Poor Nena. I am such a bad mom for forgetting to shut their door up, that must be the reason for them fighting :(

I am really sorry to say if blood has been drawn, I would absolutely separate them:cry:

Is there any time soon you could try a re-bonding with them? Like straight back to basics, confined space etc?

I am really sorry to say if blood has been drawn, I would absolutely separate them:cry:

Is there any time soon you could try a re-bonding with them? Like straight back to basics, confined space etc?

I put them in their carrier and drove around for 40 mins, then I put them back in their shed and fed them/stroked them etc. They were happily flopped next to each other and teeth purring etc - they're slightly on edge but happy to be with each other. I know that's not a sign that nothing else will happen, but I've been sitting outside the shed listening constantly (they don't know I'm here) and there has been no scuffling or anything so far so I'm hoping it was just a temporary tiff. if anything else happens I will separate and re-bond .

Gonna sit out here till after it gets dark and sleep in the spare room with the window open so I'm nearest to them so I can hear if there's any noise.

Not what I would do but good luck:) I really hope it works out for you all:)

They have to be the most unforgiving pet. Any change in routine and they don't seem to be able to cope:(

Can you bring them in tonight at all? I personally would now treat them as if you were bonding a newly introduced pair of rabbits - i.e. keep them in a small, neutral space, supervised, for 48 hours, and then only move them and increase their space slowly and gradually over the course of the next few weeks (so no free ranging).

Good luck x

Just an update to say that I checked them every hour throughout the night and there was no more fighting and over the course of the next day the aggression was becoming less. They were able to access hay/water/sleep etc all the time, just little bits of tail raising etc. By 9pm the next night they were fine, I sat with them for an hour and no aggression, no skittishness, nothing. Ever since then they've been fine although I haven't let them free-range yet. I'll do that tomorrow because they've been perfect angels ever since :)

Back