• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend in need

Hi Bunny lovers!
I'm posting on here for a friend. She was just told today that the rabbit that she had picked out had died of unknown causes during the night. I have never owned a rabbit or small animal (I'm a dog person) so although I can sympathise with her I don't have any bunny related words of comfort. Thats why I'm posting on here.
Her bunny was a chocolate coloured mini lop with caramel feet called Rolo and she is obviously devastated she will never get to take him home.
So if anyone has any words of wisdom or comfort or stories that might make her feel better please share them. Anything you think might put a smile on her face :) thanks people xxx

I dont really know what you can say to make her feel better, except perhaps this was 'meant' to happen, perhaps there is a homeless bunny that needs her to give them a loving home more than that bunny did. At least she didnt take him home and get too attatched.

The first thing that comes to mind however is to say that if she was going to get the bunny from a breeder, be wary and think twice before reserving another from there. There could be a genetic weakness, or an illness running through their stock, as they are all likely to be related in some way, even if it is distantly. Line breeding is normal and popular practice as it produces more predictable stock health/temperment/looks wise.

Is it possible that a friend of the breeder had sold the bunny to someone else either by mistake or to a Good Friend??
If there was something going on with the bunny, as in an illness, then best your friend had no attachment at the time.
Vets bills for bunnies are expensive as buns are exotic.

Just a suggestion, but why doesnt your friend pop into a rescue,there are plenty of bunnies to choose from, all vacced and neutered.If there are problems, then the rescue maybe able to help with vets bills if its an on going problem.

I have 4 rescue bunnies...2 bonded pairs!! Thats 4 less in rescue!!:wave::wave:

I think she will only be able to read it if shes a member on here???? :?:?:?

Perhaps copy and paste...:?:?

I think its General Chat that you cant read unless youre a member. I just logged out and I could still view Rabbit Chat.

It would be good if she joins anyway though, particularly if she is thinking of getting another pair of bunnies. There's lots of advice and experience on here that you just dont get from a pet shop or breeder, or even vets! I know my bunny would have had a pretty poor life in comparison if I hadnt found this forum!

Plus there are so many challenges for a first time owner, and even more when its a young bunny. Its so easy to create a monster!

I think its General Chat that you cant read unless youre a member. I just logged out and I could still view Rabbit Chat.

It would be good if she joins anyway though, particularly if she is thinking of getting another pair of bunnies. There's lots of advice and experience on here that you just dont get from a pet shop or breeder, or even vets! I know my bunny would have had a pretty poor life in comparison if I hadnt found this forum!

Plus there are so many challenges for a first time owner, and even more when its a young bunny. Its so easy to create a monster!

Yeah, but Catherine wants to put this on her friends FB.
If the thread is put on a non members FB, me thinks non member cant read it?? Dunno.........I recall doing something and the person unable to see.....:?:?
but of course,I maybe all wrong....;)

She'll be able to see it :)

It would be really nice for your friend to join us here.

I'm truly sorry for her loss though. This was something that I found comforting.

Invisible Bunny

Wake up Mum, wake up quick!
I have to stop your nightmares or you'll get sick.
I'm still here Mum I've not gone
Instead I'm just in spirit; I'm now an invisible bun.
Don't cry Mum
I can't bare to see you sad,
You were my best friend
The best a bunny could have.

When you sleep in the night
I'm lying by your side
I listen to your heartbeat
And I nuzzle you with pride.
Sometimes I bring my bunny friends
Just to let them see
The one who was my Mum
The special one to me.

In the morning when you wake Mum
I miss your lovely smile,
You can still wave
You see, I can still see you, although you can't see me?

I follow you around
I'm the shadow in the corner of your eye,
I'm still your little bunny
Invisible
And I will never die.

From http://rabbits-online.co.uk/Bunny_Heaven.htm

Sky-O that is such a lovely poem, it's made me cry thinking of my bunny Sherlock. :cry: It is a very touching poem.

Regarding Catharine13's friend - I would definitely recommend getting a rescue bunny. I brought home a bunny from P@H earlier in the year as a companion for my bunny Sherlock, unfortunately she had a parasite which she passed to Sherlock who died 3 weeks later. Since then I've adopted Byron from The Rabbit Crossing (high recommendations from me) and it is fantastic and so rewarding for both of us I get a lovely bunny who I know is in a healthy state and won't pass on infection (and was bonded with Adelle) and Byron gets a home where I think he gets pampered and loved, and a chance to be a happy bunny.

(I also fell for a trio of bunnies who have been in rescue for 2 years - everyday I wake up and see all 5 of them and in a selfish way it makes me feel lovely to know I can give them something they deserve. For them I try and give them everything they need, want and could possibly desire (as long as it's good for them of course)

I'm truly sorry for her loss though. This was something that I found comforting.

Invisible Bunny

Don't cry Mum
You were my best friend

I'm lying by your side
Just to let them see
The one who was my Mum
The special one to me.

You can still wave

I follow you around
Invisible
And I will never die.

I just cried reading this, reminded me of my special bunny Harry <3

:cry: beautiful

Invisible Bunny

Don't cry Mum
You were my best friend

I'm lying by your side
Just to let them see
The one who was my Mum
The special one to me.

You can still wave

I follow you around
Invisible
And I will never die.

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. She sounds like a special person to be able to feel love for an animal she hadn't yet lived with, and well done to you also for taking the time to post here for her :)

Bunnies do have a tendency to quickly wriggle into your heart without you noticing. It's lovely, but it makes it so much harder when they leave :(

Is she thinking of taking in another bunny when she feels better? If so we would love to have her here, it's a great place for nattering about bunnies, finding advice, and sharing pics and stories. :) Hope there is a special bun out there for her x

Thank you everyone! I've posted the link on her fb wall and said if she can't read it then to become a member =) And hopefully she will even if she doesn't have to, I think she might like it here! Any other stories would still be gratefully received! And thank you to everyone who has posted already =) xx

Thank you all so much for your kind words :)

I just want to say a big thank you to Catharine, she is such a great friend for doing this :D and thank you to everyone for your kind words and support. I found out today that little Rolo came from a large litter, which increases the chance of problems and he was very small for his age.

R.I.P my little Rolo x

Bunnies are more special than a lot of people know. A bond with a bun is so incredible and she will be suffering such a loss right now.

There's a place called Rainbow Bridge where bunnies go, it's like bunny heaven. We have so many of our little furry friends there that she should know little Rolo will be looked after and happy.

xx

Back