• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lupins, 'Honesty', 'London Pride' & Crocosmia: safe for buns? (pics)

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
Does anyone have any idea whether these plants are safe or dangerous to buns?:

Lupins:
lupin.png

'Honesty' - this is what my MiL calls it...not sure of the real name. The seed pods are quite recognisable (see pic). When in flower, it's lots of little purply flowers:
honesty.png

'London pride' - again MiL's name for it:
london_pride.png

Crocosmia:
crocosmia.png

Honesty is safe. I am fairly sure Lupins are poisonous.

I dont know about the other two though.

Lupins - no as pretty as they are! ;):lol:
Honesty - yes fine, perfectly safe.
London Pride - I recognise it - looks a bit like a primula :? but don't know about that one.
4th one is a no, no as the flower heads go to berries from what I remember as we had one here and i'm pretty sure they are bulbous.

ETA isn't the 4th a type of Iris anyway? :? Iris's are a no-no. You could ask Clutterydrawer, Thumps or Parsnipbun for clarification :wave:

Lupins - no as pretty as they are! ;):lol:
Honesty - yes fine, perfectly safe.
London Pride - I recognise it - looks a bit like a primula :? but don't know about that one.
4th one is a no, no as the flower heads go to berries from what I remember as we had one here and i'm pretty sure they are bulbous.

ETA isn't the 4th a type of Iris anyway? :? Iris's are a no-no. You could ask Clutterydrawer, Thumps or Parsnipbun for clarification :wave:

Thanks prettylupin.

Yes, lupins are very pretty, prettylupin :lol:

Yes, I think the 4th one is a kind of Iris. I'll treat that one as a bunny no-no then, along with the lupin. The London Pride is also fenced off at the moment and will remain so unless anyone else has an idea about it. I'll see if Thumps, CD or PB come along, otherwise I might PM one of them.

Thanks for your help. I'm pleased to hear that honesty is ok. It's a lovely plant :love:

Thanks prettylupin.

Yes, lupins are very pretty, prettylupin :lol:

Yes, I think the 4th one is a kind of Iris. I'll treat that one as a bunny no-no then, along with the lupin. The London Pride is also fenced off at the moment and will remain so unless anyone else has an idea about it. I'll see if Thumps, CD or PB come along, otherwise I might PM one of them.

Thanks for your help. I'm pleased to hear that honesty is ok. It's a lovely plant :love:

It is, I've just sown some (well about a month ago) of the purple variety, and I'm really looking forward to it growing :)

Lupins no, but the other three I've seen on safe lists. Crocosmia surprised me as it is from a bulb, and generally they say no to bulbs, but it was definitely on the list because I bought some and planted them in my Beau-friendly garden :D

Lupins no, but the other three I've seen on safe lists. Crocosmia surprised me as it is from a bulb, and generally they say no to bulbs, but it was definitely on the list because I bought some and planted them in my Beau-friendly garden :D

Well I would be very wary of the berry pods if it were me. We purposely removed this plant from our borders.

Thanks Lib_n_bunny, that is interesting. We have quite a lot of that crocosmia in one of our beds, but I fenced it all off as I wasn't sure. Do your buns actively eat it, or is it just there in your garden? Before I put the fence up, my buns would actually eat strands off it, and because I couldn't find out if it was safe or not from books, I put the fence up to stop them.

Also, does anyone know if everlasting sweet peas are ok for them? These are currently also behind the fence, but I have seen Poppy taking a sneeky munch of one of the branches which had swung down :roll:

Thanks Lib_n_bunny, that is interesting. We have quite a lot of that crocosmia in one of our beds, but I fenced it all off as I wasn't sure. Do your buns actively eat it, or is it just there in your garden? Before I put the fence up, my buns would actually eat strands off it, and because I couldn't find out if it was safe or not from books, I put the fence up to stop them.

Also, does anyone know if everlasting sweet peas are ok for them? These are currently also behind the fence, but I have seen Poppy taking a sneeky munch of one of the branches which had swung down :roll:

Everlasting pea is a no in my book and I would be mindful of the pods.

ETA not an actual book it was just a figure of speech! :p

Everlasting pea is a no in my book and I would be mindful of the pods.

ETA not an actual book it was just a figure of speech! :p

:lol:

Thanks, behind the fence it will stay! (Gotta love those p@h fence runs, I've got various bits of my garden closed off using those...I counted them the other day and I have 24 panels :shock:)

It's not a true bulb, it's a corm :)

It's not exactly an iris, (i.e. it's not in the Iris genus) but it is in the iris family, Iridaceae.

Unfortunately this is just for interest value, I don't know about it's safety for buns :oops:

ETA the London Pride is a kind of Sedum, usually listed as Sedum x urbium. So you could search for sedums on safe lists if you're not sure.

Last edited:
It's not a true bulb, it's a corm :)

It's not exactly an iris, (i.e. it's not in the Iris genus) but it is in the iris family, Iridaceae.

Unfortunately this is just for interest value, I don't know about it's safety for buns :oops:

ETA the London Pride is a kind of Sedum, usually listed as Sedum x urbium. So you could search for sedums on safe lists if you're not sure.

Back