• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nebulizing Q.

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Is nebulizing worth doing with a rabbit with an upper respiratory infection? I'm looking at treatment options for Jill, and the info I've found so far on the web suggests that it's more helpful for lower respiratory infection. Any thoughts?

IME it depends on what you are nebulising.

I usually try to attack URTI from all angles, giving abx both systemically via injection and also via nebuliser. I have also found administering abx directly into the nasal passages useful for some Rabbits. Not everyBun will tolerate this approach though.

If the nasolacrimal ducts are open and free flowing then giving an abx eye drop, eg Tiacil, will also have some impact on the bacteria within the nasal passages.

Bisolvon is usually an essential to thin out the mucus.

Santa's long term snuffles was always just upper, and nebulising definitely seemed to help her :)

Thanks Jane, Alison and Stef.

I'm not sure what antibiotics she will be on (I've got to speak to the vet when I pick her up later).

What antibiotics and/or decongestants are good for nebulising?

My vet usually gives bisolvin to mix with food, is it better nebulised?

Last edited:
BTW Jill isn't snuffly or snotty, she hasn't sneezed, and her eyes are totally clear of any gunk. However her breathing is very noisy (you can hear her breathing from the next room if the door is open) and it sounds like there is something blocking her nasal passages

I used to nebulise F10 in saline - I honestly can't remember if I nebulised bisolvon or not though :oops: you might even find that nebulising just plain saline solution helps a good deal :)

I fostered a bun once who had noisy breathing when he got stressed, the vet thought that it was a nasal polyp which wobbled around when the breathing got animated :?

What is F10 and where can I get it from?

Also, does anyone have any nebulizer recommendations?

Sorry about all the questions :oops:

What is F10 and where can I get it from?

http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/disinfectant-products-33-c.asp

It's the F10SC that you'd need - make sure you don't get one with added cleansers. I used it at 1:200 dilution with saline and made up about 200ml at a time even if I ended up tipping loads away after a month, because it's such a stupidly tiny amount of F10 that you need to make up a good amount to be able to measure it accurately! You only need the smallest bottle, it'll last you about 15 years as it is :lol:

I'd agree with Jane's nebuliser recommendation, I got one from Maplin, that might be another place to look.

I have this nebuliser

http://www.evergreen-nebulizers.co.uk/omron/compairc28.html

I have nebulised Baytril and Gentamicin

With Bisolvon I have found some Rabbits respond better to it given via nebuliser, others dont.

Is Jill a Dental Rabbit ? The symptoms you describe sound like a Dental related nasal problem (Elongated tooth roots)

She is a dental rabbit. The symptoms literally came on within about an hour...would it be so quick with dental problems?

Back