• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay recommendations / Photo added post 13

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I'll be putting in a Hay Experts order soon, and am looking for recommendations of hay for Lord Spenser. :wave:

He eats Burns green oat, Oxbow Timothy and Orchard Grass, but not with as much enthusiasm as I'd like. He definitely doesn't like Hay Experts meadow hay, but he eats the meadow hay bedding I buy from Morrisons. He also likes eating straw. :roll:

Last edited:
Its difficult to recommend hay as bunnies can be so fussy and they are all different.

my girls love the vitakraft hay + nettle as well as western timothy hay. your best bet is to get a sample pack from the hay experts to see which ones your boy likes.

Has he ever tried hay from hay for pets? Beano and Gordon love the Ings hay, it smells really nice (when they have some in the carrier at the vets anyone who gets close to their carrier says it smells nice1 :lol:) and it's lovely long green strands :D

Has he ever tried hay from hay for pets? Beano and Gordon love the Ings hay, it smells really nice (when they have some in the carrier at the vets anyone who gets close to their carrier says it smells nice1 :lol:) and it's lovely long green strands :D

Yes, he's tried that. Wasn't too fussed for it I'm afraid. GrahamL very kindly sent me a sample.

He's had the Hay Experts sample pack a couple of times, but there are at least two hays in it he definitely doesn't like.

Have you ever tried him with ready grass? I know he gets out to have a nom of fresh grass but mine go mad for it, (even I find the smell very appealing :oops:) you could spinkle it on his other hays and see if that encourages him more?!

Have you ever tried him with ready grass? I know he gets out to have a nom of fresh grass but mine go mad for it, (even I find the smell very appealing :oops:) you could spinkle it on his other hays and see if that encourages him more?!

Yes, actually he had that a while back, and liked it. Then we had a lot he didn't like. It came in a box, not a bag, so I wonder if it perhaps wasn't as well-kept? :?

Dunno what Louie would especially like as he only gets the hay from the farm! :lol::lol::lol:

Dunno what Louie would especially like as he only gets the hay from the farm! :lol::lol::lol:

Spenser was on farm hay before I got him. His previous owner recommended I buy Excel herbage, which Spenser didn't even acknowledge as a foodstuff. I sometimes wonder if I should just give him Morrison's hay. :?

Spenser was on farm hay before I got him. His previous owner recommended I buy Excel herbage, which Spenser didn't even acknowledge as a foodstuff. I sometimes wonder if I should just give him Morrison's hay. :?

How does the morrisons hay look?

How does the morrisons hay look?

I'll get a picture - just going to do Spenser's basin. It says 'meadow hay' on the back, but it is thicker and firmer than the Welsh meadow hay I bought and he wouldn't eat from Hay Experts.

I'll get a picture - just going to do Spenser's basin. It says 'meadow hay' on the back, but it is thicker and firmer than the Welsh meadow hay I bought and he wouldn't eat from Hay Experts.

If it smells and looks ok and Spenser eats it I guess it should be ok?? :)

Not Hay Experts (shock-horror!!) but I get mine from PetPlanet online £4 for 4kgs! :shock: :D It is pettex compressed meadow hay. You can get some dodgy hay, depending on where it comes form/weather etc but most of the time they have been brilliant. And Miss Fussy-Bum Pie absolutely loves it! :wave:

The stuff in my hand is what goes in Spenser's basin. To be honest he's as likely to eat this as any of the posh hays I buy from Hay Experts.

P8010419.jpg

The stuff in my hand is what goes in Spenser's basin. To be honest he's as likely to eat this as any of the posh hays I buy from Hay Experts.

P8010419.jpg

That doesnt look like bad hay at all. I see green in there, so it can't be all bad. Ginger loves hay like that, and will gobble it up like a maniac, but then she does with all hays :? :lol:

Personally, i'd try a 1.8Kg bag of each of the hays from H4P, as the sample bags are too small to guage how much they eat. I know thats quite an expensive way of doing it, but its what i'd do, personally if thats viable.

That doesnt look like bad hay at all. I see green in there, so it can't be all bad. Ginger loves hay like that, and will gobble it up like a maniac, but then she does with all hays :? :lol:

Personally, i'd try a 1.8Kg bag of each of the hays from H4P, as the sample bags are too small to guage how much they eat. I know thats quite an expensive way of doing it, but its what i'd do, personally if thats viable.[/

I'll look into that, thanks. :wave:

I just mentioned Hay Experts in my OP because I order Spenser's pellets and natural treats from them and the postage works out a better deal the more you buy.

Personally, i'd try a 1.8Kg bag of each of the hays from H4P, as the sample bags are too small to guage how much they eat. I know thats quite an expensive way of doing it, but its what i'd do, personally if thats viable.[/

I'll look into that, thanks. :wave:

I just mentioned Hay Experts in my OP because I order Spenser's pellets and natural treats from them and the postage works out a better deal the more you buy.

Yes, i agree, just one of those things we do for these fluffy bundles :love:

Susie - My two both love Morrisons hay and it has been their main staple for months with no issues!

Back