• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is the right time.....

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
to get Milo a new friend. I hate myself for writing this but I need to do what is best for Milo. In an ideal world I would love to have a little while to grieve but I don't that bunnies don't need the same about of time that we do.

Do I wait until he is visably miserable and risk him not eating or do I do something now?

All bunnies are different, some will cope well on their own, others will grieve.

Did Milo get to say 'goodbye' to Twinkle after she had passed? That helps them to accept that their friend has gone. x

I let him out to say goodbye but he wasn't really interested. He hopped near her and then hopped right over her and then started playing with his toys. They were snuggled right before it happened so I hope that deep down he knew and they had already said goodbye :(

I'm sorry to hear about Twinkle.:(
I think bunnies do know what's happening/happened when their partner goes to the bridge and just like we humans, they all cope in different ways.
Also 1 bunny year = 10 human years approx so the timescale is different for them.

If Milo is not showing any signs of distress then I would wait a while till you feel more ready- after all you are the one who will be looking after the new rabbit.

However if Milo shows signs of distress you may have to find him a friend sooner. I know my daughter(bunlover)'s rabbit seemed very lonely and sad, and ate less and less and almost stopped eating when her partner went, so bunlover had to get a new partner for her much sooner than she would have done. Bunlover showed her a photo of the prospective partner and she would only eat sat next to the photo. Needless to say it was an easy bond.

All I can say is play it by ear and see how Milo reacts.

sue:wave:

When Molly was PTS I knew Buzz wanted a new friend straight away, think it was only a few days to a week later I bonded him with Lady. You will be able to tell how your bun is coping.

Sorry for your loss x

When you feel it's right for him.

Sounds like he knew she was dying and therefore it was not unexpected to him, given that's how he reacted to her when you showed him her body.

Back