• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The story of a HUGE "B.O.P"

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Thumper is a wonderfulcompanion, & so human in many ways, yet also very "rabbit".

We were having a great time in the garden together. Thunder clouds were rolling in & there was stillness before a storm, so I wasn't surprised by the lack of bird song, but much more vigillant without nature's early warning system of danger.

Thumper suddenly gave a danger warning thump ran towards his bolt hole, gave another thump & froze. I've seen him do this before in his run, when a cat jumped onto the fence. I didn't want to leave him so just looked over the fence & there was absolutely nothing to be seen, & not a single alarm call had sounded. There were no aeroplanes, no helicopters which really scare him - nothing.:? So I sat down with him & told him it was OK I'd see anything off that appeared, when there was a whooshing noise right above.:shock:

I looked straight up & above us was a low flying hot air balloon which must have just cleared the roof of my house. :shock:
At the age of 6 he'd just seen the biggest air bourne "predator" ever! :lol:

Blimey :shock: I think I'd have been doing a bit of foot stomping panic if a hot air balloon just cleared my house! Poor Thumper must really have thought his time was up!!

B.O.P.? Um, translation please? Is that something like UFO? :D I'm trying to noodle it myself, but all I can come up with is BunnyObservedPredator?:lol:

Funny, I've always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon, even though I'm terrified of heights. I can imagine it must've been horrifying for poor Thumps just to have to see it from the ground!:shock:

Are you out in the countryside where this happens often? We sometimes see balloons over Fairbanks, but they have to be outside the city limits and launch from a field beyond where any buildings are or jet plane traffic, etc.

Fiver is a professional grade early warning system. He hears things that he thumps at that are far beyond my range. I often cannot tell at all what he is worried for. Although we've had lots of ravens nesting nearby this year and their calls are aggravating all the bunnies.:(

Oh bless him! :lol: :love:
Tryign to warn mummy of the big scary preadtor coming for them... :love: :love:

I'm sure the balloon changed course and sped away as soon as he gave his big scary manly thump - grrr!

Badgie is the man of our house, he is my little thumper :love:

Thanks for all your good humoured replies folks. :D

On a fleeting serious note, it fascinates me how Thumper & I live in the same world but percieve it through totally different senses - all of his being much more acute than mine except for 3D vision.
He's certainly got "is it dangerous?" at the top of his mind.

MimzMum you are not that far off in querying a UFO. I'm at the edge of a large town bordering on downland & a major wheat growing area, noted for its crop circles at this time of year. They are made in ever increasing complexity overnight mainly by the local young farmers alias aliens. :lol:
Here are a few.
http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/site/things-to-do/attractions/crop-circles
At this time of year it's quite possible that the balloon was flying over this year's circles.

Back