• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit leg

hi something wrong with my rabbits left leg because my mum seen her left foot had a ball patch but yestyday she was fine she was running about but today she can't move here left leg so i had 2 put her food and water next to her does any 1 know what i can do 2 help her get better?:(

I agree with Steph I'm afraid, a vets visit is the best thing to do as you dont want your bunny to be in pain do you?

Has your bunny had a VHD vaccination recently?

Take her to the vet for pain relief and a diagnosis
i am gonna take her to the vet or i will ring them up as well but she was find yesterday

10720_1240342574441_1405605452_3068.jpg

here a picture of her about a year agao :)

Last edited:
I think you need to call the vet tonight (actually, your mum, likely, if you;re under 16/18). Imagine if you hurt/broke your leg, would you want to stay in pain until the next day? or the day after?

I agree with the others, take her to the vet as soon as possible, or she could make it worse in the meantime by using it.

I hope it goes well at the vets, let us know what happens and how she is :wave: good luck!

I agree with the others, take her to the vet as soon as possible, or she could make it worse in the meantime by using it.

I hope it goes well at the vets, let us know what happens and how she is :wave: good luck!
does any 1 know how i pick her up without hurting her leg because if i do pick her when i go vets she end up gonna kill me also i kinda massage her left leg she was grunting a bit but she seem 2 be calm when i did it as well

does any 1 know how i pick her up without hurting her leg because if i do pick her when i go vets she end up gonna kill me also i kinda massage her left leg she was grunting a bit but she seem 2 be calm when i did it as well

try not to touch her leg until she has seen a vet, you dont want to accidently make it worse. Put a towel in the carrier, maybe a bit of hay as well, then put your hands around her tummy behind her front legs and if you like one hand under her bum to support her, and lift her into the carrier. Try not to touch her leg when you are doing it, just do it as quickly and gently as possible.

The grunting could mean she is in pain, so dont touch her leg.

Don't touch her leg. You don't know what is wrong, and what damage you could do if you massage it.

You can pick her up carefully as you would normally (i.e. supporting under her back end and under her chest)but make sure you place her down carefully or, if she can walk, lure her into the carry case.

When she goes in the car, make sure whoever drives, drives very smoothly and carefully so as not to rock her or make her use it anymore than she has to. You can roll up towels in the carrier to keep her in one place and hopefully a bit more stable.

she in her top compartment of her hutch and plus she trys and moves but she can't balance :(

That sounds bad :( I would get her in the carrier and to the vets asap. Have you rung them? You have to ring to go and see them out of normal opening hours.

Sounds like you are going to have to move her then, be gentle but firm because you don't want her feeling unsafe and trying to get away. Have the carrier as close to the hutch as you can so you don't have far to go while holding her and have someone else around if possible to open and close the carrier. :)

ETA, If she can't balance it could be any number of things so you're definitely doing the right thing getting her to a vet asap. :)

Sounds like you are going to have to move her then, be gentle but firm because you don't want her feeling unsafe and trying to get away. Have the carrier as close to the hutch as you can so you don't have far to go while holding her and have someone else around if possible to open and close the carrier. :)

ETA, If she can't balance it could be any number of things so you're definitely doing the right thing getting her to a vet asap. :)
i haven't got a pet carrier but will a box do? :?:

To be honest I don't know, I've only ever taken mine in a carrier or I held Mischa when he was very, very ill but Mischa is very trusting and laid back and couldn't keep upright, I wouldn't suggest doing that with every rabbit. In a pinch I would say a box would be ok.

I think its an infection that my rabbit has

o yea btw when she get better how do i stop her from pooing everywhere outside her hucth?

One thing at a time, get her to a vet and better first :) Then we can help you out with that. :)

Do you have a STRONG box to put her in? You need something with a lid to stop her jumping out, but nothing that is airtight (or she'll suffocate).

A strong cardboard box will do, but I would take another in the car with you if you can, just in case she chews her way out.

Do you have a STRONG box to put her in? You need something with a lid to stop her jumping out, but nothing that is airtight (or she'll suffocate).

A strong cardboard box will do, but I would take another in the car with you if you can, just in case she chews her way out.
how big do i need it she is an old english rabbit :)

Last edited:
Back