• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mesh for under rabbit run??

Peanut-Toffee

Warren Veteran
Hey,
I have a 6x4x2 run for my bunny Roxy but when I put her on the grass she digs and Ive been told Im no longer allowed to put her on the grass in the run because she digs! We have patio that I can put the run on but she doesnt seem to like it much in there.
Is there anything you can buy/do to put under the run to prevent them from digging?
I saw a 'anti burrow' thing on a website but it was only around the edge of the run and not across the whole thing.

hmmmm im not sure, buns are born to dig and if you put mesh all the way across the area they will exercise on, wont they get hurt?? :?

sorry that not advice really, i have indoor buns so have never enountered this issue but im sure someone will come along with advicce soon :)

Is your garden secure? If so I'd suggest supervised free range as she will be able to eat grass but I doubt she will have the urge to dig as much as there won't be anything to dig out to.

Digging is normal. I would say, if you can't allow her to dig (either for safety or for personal choice) then have her on concrete and provide a digging box, maybe. We do ask for people to ensure that their grass is secure if they adopt form us. Putting mesh underneath is one option, but not the best one to keep them safe, in my opinion. If it is flush to the floor then it can be 'ok', but it's really not ideal.

She can go free range but obv got to sit out there with her (see pics in photos section) but even then does dig but we move her on straight away.
Will just stick to havig the run on patio then when shes out there on her own :) (we always check out the window to make sure shes ok)

Shes an only bun at the moment yeah, cant really keep her inside, only reason Dad let me have another bun was that she'd be outside :)

ah ok, just thought maybe if the digging was an issue have her inside, but then again she'd only dig something else. bella has taken to attacking my sofa cushions at the moment :roll: she's obsessed :lol:

haha bless her, she usually just digs a little bit then flops into where shes dug, but today it was quite a big hole.....oops lol

Put some mesh on the bottom of the run and put the run on some soil and then lay some turf on top of the mesh. The roots will grow through the mesh.

Back