• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eek!... flies!

busterandme

Warren Scout
hiya :)

i dont want to sound neurotic but im panicking a bit! so, i am cleaning out busters house and when i moved the litter tray two flies flew out from behind. his litter is changed daily, but now im worried he could have flystrike. checked his bottom, nice and clean. i cant get any rearguard until tomorrow (i know i should have done it already) should i wash his bottom now just in case? would that remove the fly eggs if there are any?

thanks xxx

I would just check from half way down his back to his genitals by running your fingers slowly through his fur and looking carefully. I see you have already checked him and he is fine. I would check him before you go to bed and again tomorrow.

He is most likely absolutely fine as the flies would have been attracted to the litter in preference to him,(and you have cleaned that out) but there's no harm in checking him again and you will get a nights sleep free of worry too.

There are always flies in the air and it's best not to get panicky about it, but just do a daily check and keep an eye out for any obvious difference in his behaviour- not eating etc. This is my personal opinion.

I personally wouldn't wash him- I don't know if that would remove any eggs(if there were any)- I don't know what others think?

sue:wave:

Back