PDA

View Full Version : What's Hi-Fi?

LionheadLuver
31-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I keep coming across people feeding their rabbits Hi-Fi. Apparently it is really high fibre and an excellent food. Why isn't it promoted more? Does anyone have any information about it?

Sky-O
31-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I googled 'hi fi rabbit food' and it brought up this

'[401F] HI FI RABBIT GROWER PELLETS 4mm
Protein 15.0% Oil 5.5% Fibre 18.6% Ash 8.8% DE 9.7mj/kg as fed

An alternative ration where disease can perhaps be more anticipated. This higher-fibre, lower energy, ration does seem to offer more of a compromise, although performance obtained might not be quite as high.'
From http://www.charnwood-milling.co.uk/rabbit.htm

Think it's a breeder pellet which does not necessarily mean it is healthier than other alternatives.

Wondergirl
31-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Dengie hifi is for horses. Not sure if that's the same stuff? It's like a chopped hay/alfalfa stuff.

janice
31-07-2011, 07:31 PM
http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/Rabbit_food2.htm is this the HiFi food that you are talking about. If it is is and I remember rightly they were sold by one of the rabbit food online shops which I dont believe is still currently trading.

Edited http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=76429&highlight=hifi this is an old thread which indicates it was Bunny Basics who were selling it

Lil Miss
31-07-2011, 08:19 PM
as a hi-fi feeder i can say we are referring to Dengie hifi (normally original apple) ;) mine get a handful per 2 buns mixed in with their pellets

RampantRabbits
31-07-2011, 08:21 PM
as a hi-fi feeder i can say we are referring to Dengie hifi (normally original apple) ;) mine get a handful per 2 buns mixed in with their pellets

Is there any particular reason for this?

B3rnie69
31-07-2011, 08:26 PM

This goes for me also lol
I use it to mix in with my pellets so they are encouraged to forage and it takes them a bit longer to eat their pellet ration :)

Lil Miss
31-07-2011, 08:55 PM
it makes their pellets last longer and keeps them entertained longer, theres no reason why not to, as its high in fibre it is good for their digestion too

Wondergirl
01-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Can rabbits actually eat it though?

Santa
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
:shock: If it's really the dengie hifi being referred to then I don't think it's an excellent quality food at all - it's basically sugar coated straw and alfalfa! Alfalfa is far too high in calcium for healthy adult buns at the best of times, so mixing it with no-nutrition value straw and covering it with sugar for good measure seems like a recipe for bunny tummy disaster to me! I know it's cheap, but I wouldn't feed that to my rabbits if you paid me :? There's much healthier, safer, more suitable - and just as tasty - things to mix in with pellets in my opinion.

Rachel89
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
My pony who likes to yoyo diet has hifi as part of her feed, noway would I consider giving it to a rabbit. Way too mucyh sugar. Reading the daily guildlines for ponies/horses on packaging I wouldn't even give a tiny handful to a rabbit.

LionheadLuver
02-08-2011, 07:17 AM
:shock: If it's really the dengie hifi being referred to then I don't think it's an excellent quality food at all - it's basically sugar coated straw and alfalfa! Alfalfa is far too high in calcium for healthy adult buns at the best of times, so mixing it with no-nutrition value straw and covering it with sugar for good measure seems like a recipe for bunny tummy disaster to me! I know it's cheap, but I wouldn't feed that to my rabbits if you paid me :? There's much healthier, safer, more suitable - and just as tasty - things to mix in with pellets in my opinion.

I didn't know it was sugar-coated. why do horses need to have suger-coated straw?! mm, maybe not what I thought it was then. I think I'll avoid it.

Wondergirl
02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Dengie do a light and molasses free version which doesn't have the same sugar content as the original stuff but I'm still not sure I'd give it to my bunnies.