• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's Hi-Fi?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
I keep coming across people feeding their rabbits Hi-Fi. Apparently it is really high fibre and an excellent food. Why isn't it promoted more? Does anyone have any information about it?

I googled 'hi fi rabbit food' and it brought up this

'[401F] HI FI RABBIT GROWER PELLETS – 4mm
Protein 15.0% Oil 5.5% Fibre 18.6% Ash 8.8% DE 9.7mj/kg as fed

An alternative ration where disease can perhaps be more anticipated. This higher-fibre, lower energy, ration does seem to offer more of a compromise, although performance obtained might not be quite as high.'
From http://www.charnwood-milling.co.uk/rabbit.htm

Think it's a breeder pellet which does not necessarily mean it is healthier than other alternatives.

as a hi-fi feeder i can say we are referring to Dengie hifi (normally original apple) ;) mine get a handful per 2 buns mixed in with their pellets

as a hi-fi feeder i can say we are referring to Dengie hifi (normally original apple) ;) mine get a handful per 2 buns mixed in with their pellets

This goes for me also lol
I use it to mix in with my pellets so they are encouraged to forage and it takes them a bit longer to eat their pellet ration :)

it makes their pellets last longer and keeps them entertained longer, theres no reason why not to, as its high in fibre it is good for their digestion too

:shock: If it's really the dengie hifi being referred to then I don't think it's an excellent quality food at all - it's basically sugar coated straw and alfalfa! Alfalfa is far too high in calcium for healthy adult buns at the best of times, so mixing it with no-nutrition value straw and covering it with sugar for good measure seems like a recipe for bunny tummy disaster to me! I know it's cheap, but I wouldn't feed that to my rabbits if you paid me :? There's much healthier, safer, more suitable - and just as tasty - things to mix in with pellets in my opinion.

My pony who likes to yoyo diet has hifi as part of her feed, noway would I consider giving it to a rabbit. Way too mucyh sugar. Reading the daily guildlines for ponies/horses on packaging I wouldn't even give a tiny handful to a rabbit.

:shock: If it's really the dengie hifi being referred to then I don't think it's an excellent quality food at all - it's basically sugar coated straw and alfalfa! Alfalfa is far too high in calcium for healthy adult buns at the best of times, so mixing it with no-nutrition value straw and covering it with sugar for good measure seems like a recipe for bunny tummy disaster to me! I know it's cheap, but I wouldn't feed that to my rabbits if you paid me :? There's much healthier, safer, more suitable - and just as tasty - things to mix in with pellets in my opinion.

I didn't know it was sugar-coated. why do horses need to have suger-coated straw?! mm, maybe not what I thought it was then. I think I'll avoid it.

Dengie do a light and molasses free version which doesn't have the same sugar content as the original stuff but I'm still not sure I'd give it to my bunnies.

Back