• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

p@h .. :(

went in today to get some ice pods, and a raised dog bowl for my poochy.
and i had a look at all the animals, (i know i shouldn't but i can't help it) and in the section they usualy keep giants there were two tiny rex rabbits (pretty sure anyway) one black sat hunched up, and one brown flopped out under the fan that wasn't even turned on. they both looked so very sad, neither were moving when i was making sounds, and they looked so sad and just ill.

it really makes me :evil: how a shop that claimes to put pets first can allow their animals to not only be in small spaces, smelly with old water but to just be sad, and ill looking.

there is no real point to this thread, just wanted to rant

If they were ill you should have pointed it out to the staff members.

It has been very hot today and I'm sure that most rabbits have been flopped out and lethargic, I know Louie hasn't done a lot!

If they were ill you should have pointed it out to the staff members.

It has been very hot today and I'm sure that most rabbits have been flopped out and lethargic, I know Louie hasn't done a lot!

to me he looked more sad than ill, he moved when i came back and was eating. he didn't look ill ill, otherwise i would have made someone aware.

Oh right, only in your first post you said they looked ill!

yes.. ill asin, at first they wernt moving, were probably hot and lathargic because of the heat. not ill asin needed to see a vet.

i would have made someone aware if i thought the bunny needed to be seen by a vet!!

not p@h but vaguely links - i haven't been into my local pet shop for years but they have a sign outside saying 'rabbits and guinea pigs now only £10' :(

I went in today to get tortoise substrate, saw three 8 week old male buns in the adoption bit and it said they must be rehomed together. I went straight to a worker and said that they needed to change the sign because if someone did rehome them together who's to say they'd have a clue about keeping them separate when hormones kick in, getting them neutered and then rebonded. Besides..knowing p@h the bunnies were so young they were more than likely mis-sexed and hey more babies..

He told me they told people about neutering so it was fine...:roll:. I gave up.

Successfully though the week before I went on a holiday I stopped woman looking at getting a dutch from the adoption bit for her 3 year old who was with her, I started asking if she'd kept buns before and about all there requirements and about how much Lola had cost me in a year. She soon changed her mind :D.

It's odd, I'm a very shy, reserved and quiet person when it comes to me, but when an animals welfare is at stake I will do my best to better the situation.

went in today to get some ice pods, and a raised dog bowl for my poochy.
and i had a look at all the animals, (i know i shouldn't but i can't help it) and in the section they usualy keep giants there were two tiny rex rabbits (pretty sure anyway) one black sat hunched up, and one brown flopped out under the fan that wasn't even turned on. they both looked so very sad, neither were moving when i was making sounds, and they looked so sad and just ill.

it really makes me :evil: how a shop that claimes to put pets first can allow their animals to not only be in small spaces, smelly with old water but to just be sad, and ill looking.

there is no real point to this thread, just wanted to rant

P@H are legally obliged to comply with the Pet Shop Licence Conditions for the shop.

These Conditions include a suitable environment for each animal. (Too hot is not "suitable").

Neither is "smelly".

"Old water" does not comply with the obligations in respect of food/water.

The Conditions are likely to be substantially similar to the following:

http://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/aio/5791388

However, for the precise Pet Shop Licence Conditions, just ask the local Council for a copy.

The following thread might be of assistance:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94160

Hope this helps.

My local P@H is very good with their animals. They always have food (ie hay), clean water, toys and company. And their substrate is always clean. The animals look happy and relaxed.

I think some P@H stores care for their animals more than others. But a rabbit flopped out not moving doesn't mean its unhappy or ill, it's probably a bit warm and probably very relaxed.

My local P@H is very good with their animals. They always have food (ie hay), clean water, toys and company. And their substrate is always clean. The animals look happy and relaxed.

I think some P@H stores care for their animals more than others. But a rabbit flopped out not moving doesn't mean its unhappy or ill, it's probably a bit warm and probably very relaxed.

This ^ :)

we went in today too, and there where too many baby bunnies in small enclosures :cry: a giant in adoption bit, but only little enclosure again, not enough room to hop about :cry:

went in to see if could see dreamers banners but they only had dutch ones up no dreamers ones

not p@h but vaguely links - i haven't been into my local pet shop for years but they have a sign outside saying 'rabbits and guinea pigs now only £10' :(

the one in our town centre (not PAH, another pet shop) has them right in shop window and advertises buy hutch get rabbit free :cry:

I went in to there too the other day and there was an over wieght friendly doe for adoption who was so fat she couldnt eat her own ceacs...but she was ever so playful...just beautiful...and a white doe who "needed experienced owners"...i chatted to the white bunny and she got up - looked ay me...flicked her head about and ran about thumping and tossing a wooden thing...it was such a delightful experience of almost being spoken to ....my heart broke as I left her there....:cry: I prayed they would both be in loving homes with room and good diets...:cry:

One good thing I did was - I corrected a lady who told her firend that female bunbs are always alot more friendly:roll:and said both sexes can be and neutering helps...I also said ones from rescues come with their vaccinations, advice on diet and are also neutered....I mentioned The rabbit residence as they not too far and said they have over 100 buns who need loving homes and they help you find one thats right for you....I left and saw them discussing cages etc....I did want to go back and say spend your £100 on a shed and run...but felt Id said enought probably:oops:

I still think about the over weight bun and the other "un handled white bun":):cry:

Regarding the price thing, I think that's probably a good thing. It doesn't cost much more to get a second to encourage people to buy a pair (so the buns have company).

Back