• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit cannot hold her head straight

connor1106

New Kit
hi can anyone help me if was very hot today when i went out to my rabbit i notcied that she is holding her head to one side and cant walk properly she has sort of lost her balance i have put her a frozen bottle in her cage and although she seems slightly better she is still all over the place i also noticed she has a lump under her ear and inside her ear is a white thick milky discharge can anyone help me x

Don't know exactly what it is but I think you need to get her to the vet ASAP, she could be very ill. :( Hope she'll be okay xx

she is very bad at walking i have just checked her she sort of wobbles does anyone think this will be infective to my other rabbits

It sounds as though she has an abscess in her ear and the infection has now tracked into her middle ear.

This is a SERIOUS condition and requires IMMEDIATE Veterinary attention. In other words you need to contact a Vet NOW

Treatment in the first instance is likely to be antibiotics and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory to try to stabalise her condition. She may then require surgery to try to sort out the abscess.

hi i thought a abcess was o soft lump this is a solid big lump and doesnt move at all and doesnt seem to hurt her she has kittens at the moment so dont really want to move her :( x

hi i thought a abcess was o soft lump this is a solid big lump and doesnt move at all and doesnt seem to hurt her she has kittens at the moment so dont really want to move her :( x

I don't know much about seperation from the kits, but if she dies from this it will be much worse than if she was away for an hour or so. Could you get a vet to come to you? I think you need to just get her there NOW, the quicker she gets seen the more chance she has of recovering, Good luck xx

She needs a vet immediately, I'm afraid.

If you call your local vet, there will be an out of hours number on their messaging machine.

Where are you located?

dont mean to sound rude but by the sounds of it none of you have a clue i was looking for soem help and all ya all keep saying is take her to the vets if i could afford to do this i would of done it without asking you lot as i cant i thought i would ask for some advice !!

I don't wish to jump on the bandwagon here, but connor1106 I think your reply is a bit sharp. You asked for advice - you got it in the form of you need a vet immediately. That's your advice. Whether you act upon it is up to you.

Whenever you buy a pet you HAVE to consider the possibility that at some point you will need a vet. If you can't afford a vet then quite bluntly you shouldn't have got yourself a rabbit.

She will need Painrelief/Anti-inflammatories, which are only dispensed by a vet, so unfortunately there is no other option.

dont mean to sound rude but by the sounds of it none of you have a clue i was looking for soem help and all ya all keep saying is take her to the vets if i could afford to do this i would of done it without asking you lot as i cant i thought i would ask for some advice !!

The best advice anyone could give you is to take her to the vets!

Whats going on with your bun is NOT NORMAL, and needs emergancy treatment asap otherwise the worst may happen to her.

We can not see your rabbit and we are not vets so can not tell you whats wrong.

Do the right thing for your bun and take her to the vets :(

Unfortunately, no one on here will be able to give any other advice as only a vet can help diagnose the reason for the headtilt and offer the relevant treatment.

But that is our advice, and probably the only thing that will save her is the vets. Can you not borrow money from somehwhere? Ask your vets about a payment plan where you can pay it up in bits.

She really does need to see a vet.

ok ty all for your so called help ill just have to leave her as i cant afford the vets bill cheers anyway

Then it's likely she will die, sorry for being blunt. Poor bunny. :( You do realise that it's your responsibility as an owner to get her vet treatment when she's ill, right?

try the PDSA, they help people who can't afford vet bills..see if you qualify.
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/

Last edited:
Back