• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

am i being over sensitive???

shell1805

Mama Doe
please tell me if i am :oops:

when giving condolences over a lost pet, do you feel it's just to say 'oh no, i was so hoping it was another <insert animals name>'

for the people who have an animal with this name, it comes across to me as insensitive as if it would be ok if it was ours :(

xx

I know exactly what you mean and have thought this recently.

No one bunny is more important than another, all are loved whether they are well known or not.

I don't think you are being over sensitive.

*squish*

I know exactly what you mean and have thought this recently.

No one bunny is more important than another, all are loved whether they are well known or not.

I don't think you are being over sensitive.

*squish*

:oops: ive debated posting this for a few days as i didnt want to cause offence, but it has really bothered me :(

:oops: ive debated posting this for a few days as i didnt want to cause offence, but it has really bothered me :(

I think it's just a case of being mindful that people aren't really meaning they hoped a different rabbit would be dead, and aren't trying to be offensive or are rude, they are just trying to console an owner.

So yes, whilst it may hurt, people are not intending to be malicious, just maybe a bit niaive in what they are saying and not thinking it through properly.

It's similar, to me, to when a very well known bunny is lost and a lesser known bunny is lost and how different it can feel and how different people act. Having been on both sides of the coin I still hold onto the belief that each rabbit is really important to it's owner regardless of whether it is known to the masses or not.

I think it's just a case of being mindful that people aren't really meaning they hoped a different rabbit would be dead, and aren't trying to be offensive or are rude, they are just trying to console an owner.

So yes, whilst it may hurt, people are not intending to be malicious, just maybe a bit niaive in what they are saying and not thinking it through properly.

It's similar, to me, to when a very well known bunny is lost and a lesser known bunny is lost and how different it can feel and how different people act. Having been on both sides of the coin I still hold onto the belief that each rabbit is really important to it's owner regardless of whether it is known to the masses or not.

^ this is very well put and i agree with it all. i know they didnt mean it to be hurtful, but it just surprised me how many can phrase it like that i guess. it wasn't just one but a few :?

Yep, I can see where your coming from. It does look a bit sad.;.'Oh I had hoped it was another ****'
But I admit that in the past I've seen a bunnies name in RB and thought 'please don't let it be the ***** I'm thinking of!' But I never thought of any other bunny with that name and I wouldn't wish the death of a bunny on anyone, I just had a particular loving for this bunny and really didn't want it to be him. Doesn't really mean I wanted it to be anybun else:) I don't think its a case of people thinking that particular bun is more special, just the bun is special to certain people xx

Last edited:
^ this is very well put and i agree with it all. i know they didnt mean it to be hurtful, but it just surprised me how many can phrase it like that i guess. it wasn't just one but a few :?

It makes tough reading. It might just be that those people haven't yet got the awareness or the experience to realise how it sounds- without trying to be rude or patronising.

I would try not to dwell on it, to be honest. Go and treat your bunnies and get some bunny love and remember just how important they are to you and why that's what matters. :)

Yep, I can see where your coming from. It does look a bit sad.;.'Oh I had hoped it was another ****'
But I admit that in the past I've seen a bunnies name in RB and thought 'please don't let it be the ***** I'm thinking of!' But I never thought of any other bunny with that name and I wouldn't wish the death of a bunny on anyone, I just had a particular loving for this bunny and really didn't want it to be him. Doesn't really mean I wanted it to be anybun else:)

But by saying

''Oh I had hoped it was another ****'

That is exactly what you are saying. I would prefer another bunny to die than that bunny.

I think that probably because grief is selfish, that's the natural instinct coming out because you don't want to have to feel the pain that you know you will or lose the bunny you know you have so, selfishly, you would rather it be about a rabbit you don't know, so that you don't suffer and those you know don't suffer. But it is important to be mindful and aware of other owners and how things like this sound and come across.

It would break my heart if I ever saw 'Oh I had hoped it was another Sky/Wish/Autumn, etc, etc' because that's like people wishing my pets dead even though that's not the intention or reason for saying it at all.

Think everyone just needs to step back and reread what they post before posting to think about how it would sound to others, and that people need to step back and look at the intentions with which something is said. Both those things can be difficult, but necessary to survive in life, I reckon.

It makes tough reading. It might just be that those people haven't yet got the awareness or the experience to realise how it sounds- without trying to be rude or patronising.

I would try not to dwell on it, to be honest. Go and treat your bunnies and get some bunny love and remember just how important they are to you and why that's what matters. :)

:) i hope this doesnt sound hokey, but your posts always end up making me feel better :) you put things very well and give a good perspective x

:) i hope this doesnt sound hokey, but your posts always end up making me feel better :) you put things very well and give a good perspective x

I aim to please. :lol:

I've spent years carefully wording posts on other forums to say what I want to say, in a way that is acceptable to be heard from as many people as possible. Glad that whatever I'm doing is helping you :)

:oops:

I guess I'll just have to go and edit my post now :oops:

please dont think i was pointing the finger at anyone, to be honest i wasn't even looking at who posted but the amount of posts with the same wording :oops: i never meant for anyone to feel i was accussing, i just wanted opinions as to if i was over reacting xx

please dont think i was pointing the finger at anyone, to be honest i wasn't even looking at who posted but the amount of posts with the same wording :oops: i never meant for anyone to feel i was accussing, i just wanted opinions as to if i was over reacting xx

No it's fine, I woud feel the same way if someone said that about a rabbit with the same name as mine :wave: I shouldn't of said it- I'm sorry!

Back