• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

metal shed

indigo

Mama Doe
I've been given a very large metal shed, thought it would make an ideal base for Tinker and Dexter. they will need to be moved outside as we're seriously overcrowded with kids these days!!

they're fine where they are at the moment, they have a room the size of my living room all to themselves, no heating, concrete floor and the temperature tends to stay fairly stable, so not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter.

we're hoping to move in the next few months, what's the latest in the year that i could move them outside? i've already warned OH that if we miss the 'deadline' and they don't get the chance to grow a decent winter coat then they'll have to stay indoors until next summer, so we're trying to move asap, hopefully before oct/nov.

so. metal shed, i presume this thing is going to get seriously cold in winter and stupidly hot in summer.

we have access to loads of large pieces of wood, suitable to make a sort of hutch/kennel for them, and obviously we'll make them as big an aviary sized run as we can, they won't move in until it's all sorted out.

what suggestions for insulation/indoor shed housing would see them through both extreme seasons please? :)

so. metal shed, i presume this thing is going to get seriously cold in winter and stupidly hot in summer.

Yup. I'd try and swap it with someone for a wooden one if I were you. No matter how well you insulate the walls and roof, the sliding doors are going to be impossible to do and will totally compromise the rest of the insulating. You might stand a better chance with a normal opening door, but by the time you've forked out for heavy duty insulation and battening out the inside for the insulation then plywood to cover it, you might as well have bought a new wooden shed. And you still might find out it's too hot or cold. I'd use it for storage if you can't get a swap.

Have you seen the housing thread with all sorts of solutions we on RU have come up with? A nice big shed sized hutch about 6 x 4 that you can walk into easily to clean out without having to crawl on your hands and knees to get to the back of, with or without shelves for them to give extra floor space and a cat flap into a secure aviary style run that you can, again, stand up in and has a concrete/flagged base plus a covered roof so they can play out in the rain would be ideal for them.

Last edited:
Yup. I'd try and swap it with someone for a wooden one if I were you. No matter how well you insulate the walls and roof, the sliding doors are going to be impossible to do and will totally compromise the rest of the insulating. You might stand a better chance with a normal opening door, but by the time you've forked out for heavy duty insulation and battening out the inside for the insulation then plywood to cover it, you might as well have bought a new wooden shed. And you still might find out it's too hot or cold. I'd use it for storage if you can't get a swap.

swapping for wooden one is not an option!!! i'm 'stuck' with the metal one.

no sliding doors on it though? it's one that opens with 2 doors. money seriously tight. i will HAVE to use this, hence asking for advice on what housing to put inside for my 2 fluffy monsters.

I think condensation is a bit of a problem in metal sheds too, unfortunately. :(

It's a shame as it would seem ideal, but as TF suggested could you do a swap with someone?

I think condensation is a bit of a problem in metal sheds too, unfortunately. :(

It's a shame as it would seem ideal, but as TF suggested could you do a swap with someone?

nope. wayyyyyy too much going on around me to take on the task of having to try and swap a shed. trying to move house is bad enough with 6 kids, 1 car and lots of invervention of social workers/solicitors/contact arrangements!!!

gotta make the best that i can with what i've been given! hence asking for advice to make it as good as possible for as little money as possible with the materials that i have to hand :)

swapping for wooden one is not an option!!! i'm 'stuck' with the metal one.

no sliding doors on it though? it's one that opens with 2 doors. money seriously tight. i will HAVE to use this, hence asking for advice on what housing to put inside for my 2 fluffy monsters.

To be honest, insulating it to a standard where it's safe is going to cost you far more than just building them something. Before you think about using it, go and stand in it on a hot and sunny afternoon. I'd go as far as saying you'd be better giving them a smaller area by buiding them a hutch to RSPCA guide size ( 6 by 2 by 2 feet) than giving them the extra room in what could become an oven and kill them. You know they say dogs die in hot cars? A metal shed is the same principle unless it's in dense and total shade all year round. And even then, in winter/cold summer nights it's going to be very cold and subject to sudden fluctuations.

Metal sheds are far too hot in the summer and cold in the winter. As others have suggested, maybe a hutch made to RSPCA spec with what money you have would be a better option.

i think like everyones already said, it won't work as will be humid and very hot in summer and freezing in winter.

if this shed is in good condition and very large, i would suggest selling it. put it in your local ad mag or on preloved or ebay, and what money you get for it plus what you have of your own, either buy a wooden shed or a hutch to meet rspcs guidlines:wave:

It's going to be like sitting in an oven in summer, rabbits do not do well with heat as it is. Please reconsider.

It's going to be like sitting in an oven in summer, rabbits do not do well with heat as it is. Please reconsider.

oops my bad. i won't shut them in there on a hot day ten duh silly me. fancy asking for advice in the first place eh? noone has given consideration that i have a single ounce of sense. it's tearing me up that i have to move them outside as it is, let alone not having any money spare at all, enough to buy some decent mesh to make an aviary, we've been given a ton of wood to make a house. the shed was merely as a shelter and a starting point. forget it, the shed has fallen through anyway, so i'm back to the drawing board and in tears in panic over what to do for the best.

thanks for making it so much easier on me, i'll remember where to come in future if i feel like making myself feel worse than i already do.

It sounds like you have a lot going on at the moment and are stressed but nobody in this thread wanted to make you feel bad, metal sheds are useless for keeping pets in.

Put a advert on freecycle asking for a wooden shed you may be able to find one which needs some repairs as long as you are willing to take it down, you can use the wood you have to carry out repairs

Back