• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fattening up foods?

stranger23

Mama Doe
i rescued a rabbit a while back who was used for breeding he didnt know what veg was and will fight with any rabbits he is put with, recently i noticed he wouldnt finish his pellets, he is so scared of everything i dont often get to touch him, when he wouldnt eat his pellets he is drinking and eating hay fine, today i managed to touch him and noticed his is loosing weight so i was wondering what veg and things i could use to fatten him up, he seems to like veg more than pellets and if its a hot day he wont touch pellets at all he gets given spring greens, carrot, bell pepper and celery regularly now with broccoli throw in once a week i also give other veg but these are the ones we use regularly

TBH I think you need to find out why he has lost weight.
Not wanting to eat pellets may indicate a dental issue.
Either way it sounds like he needs a vet check.

he is a really fussy bun, im going to change him over onto different pellets see if that gets him eating, he was always on musli food i faded that out and got him onto pellets but after a while it seems like he gets bored of the pellets and stops eating them, ive had to try 3 different types of pellets to get him eating them, he doesnt have any dental issues ive checked and so has the vet. He hasnt lost massives of weight just a slight bit so im thinking of putting him more on a veg and hay diet but want to know some veg that will help fatten him up seeing as he is fussy i would prefer he was over weight then slightly under

Well done for rescuing him, but I would definately get his teeth checked, especially if he's preferring to eat veg which is a softer option. Have you tried soaking the pellets to see if he can eat them?

Which pellets are you feeding at the moment, some of mine wouldn't eat A & P so gradually I changed them onto SS, I found Excel gave some of them a mucky bottom.

I hope you find something he likes and his weight improves:D

Totally agree a vet visit is in order to check his teeth :wave:

In the meantime he might like some bunny porridge which is used to put weight on underweight buns. Boil some water and pour it over a pinch of porridge oats. Leave until the oats are dissolved and it is cool. Abit of mashed banana mixed in is a firm favourite :lol:

You could also try dissolving his pellets in hot water in much the same way :wave:

He has been to the vet already its not his teeth! If you give him musli he will eat it fine but i dont want to have to be forever buying pellets and musli i also dont like the way he picks out "the good bits" and leaves anything he doesnt like so want him on pellets, he is currently on excel like all of my other rabbits not had a problem with them, ive tried all the local shops near me own brands, different flavours of excel the plain ones go down best, ive tried SS and wagg ive even tried mixing musli with pellets and he just eats the good bit of musli and leaves everything else, will try the porridge thanks might have to get OH to give him some banana i cant stand bananas

I know a number of people here use porridge and I've used it myself in the past but my vet is very strongly against it and I would use it only in extremely small quantities.

Sounds as if he is fussy but it's odd for a healthy bun to refuse food to the point where they lose weight. Two things to bear in mind re teeth: a) they can change and b) vets sometimes miss things c) even a tiny change can make a big difference to a rabbit's desire to feed

Last edited:
im sorry for asking this question dont worry about it i will sort it out myself without anyones help, ive taken him to the vets they are happy with him and if he is going to change in the 3 days since the vet visit then they are some very fast growing teeth, he isnt majorly under weight just slightly but i would prefer he has some fat on him so if he doesnt eat his pellets its not so bad, i just wanted to know what foods i could give him to get a bit more weight on him, he doesnt refuse everything just the pellets

Back