• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

think bisc was about to go into gut stasis!

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
a few hours ago, out of nowhere, he had his 'look' (he does the same look everytime something is wrong) so i tried to check him over and he ran away, didn't run over for probiotics which he loves, so i was worried. he went and sat in the litter tray and refused to move.

i managed to pick him up from the tray so knew that things weren't good as he never lets me do that.

got him on top of the cage and started checking him over. listened to his tum as i thought he might have gas but there was next to no gut sounds at all! :shock: he then refused my offerings of parsley. :shock:

i gave him a quick tum rub, some maxolon and metacam. he loves both so took them from the syringe no problem. then he seemed to want kisses and hugs. :love: he's been very clingy to me today and yesterday, like he wanted to tell me something.

within 20mins of having the meds he was interested in food again and has gradually eaten more and is running around again now.

phew!

i'll keep an eye on him obviously but i was worried for a while there.

Well done for spotting early signs! My bun Bunny does this...I just know sometimes that he is off colour, so a nice tummy rub and some fluids usually nips it in the bud.

Hope he is all ok now :)

he seems fine now. i wouldn't say 100% though, he seems a bit agitated at times. :? i think because of his moult. he doesn't like moulting. i'll keep an extra close eye on him of course. :)

sounds just like eric - and i've just done some tufty bum fur plucking too.

they're moulting alot at the minute. but bisc doesn't like it. :( does eric mind you plucking him? my two tolerate it for a while then sometimes run off and flick their feets at me :oops::lol: it's so tempting to pluck though! :oops::lol:

they're moulting alot at the minute. but bisc doesn't like it. :( does eric mind you plucking him? my two tolerate it for a while then sometimes run off and flick their feets at me :oops::lol: it's so tempting to pluck though! :oops::lol:

he doesn't mind as rather than nose rubs (cos he hasn't really got one:lol:), he likes full head to tail strokes so i gently remove the tufty bum bits at the end of each stroke;)

he doesn't mind as rather than nose rubs (cos he hasn't really got one:lol:), he likes full head to tail strokes so i gently remove the tufty bum bits at the end of each stroke;)

aw, that's sweet. :love: i bop their tails and actually say bop bop! :oops::lol: they don't appreciate that at times! :oops::lol:

bisc only had one dose of maxolon and an increase in his metacam and within a short time he wanted food again. and gradually he ate more and his gut sounds went back to normal. it's always so scary to see how quickly they get worse isn't it.

i do think he has been trying to tell me something for a day or two. he kept following me everywhere and just wanting my attention all the time. then he did his 'look' and sat in the tray. :(

but he seems fine now. :D

Back