• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam?

lilgems91

Mama Doe
I would appreciate a bit of advice on Metacam, I had never heard of it until this afternoon. I took my bunny into the vets because he hadnt been acting himself, seemed uncomfortable and wasnt urinating in his litter tray all the time, which is strange for him.

The vet felt his bladder and said that he couldnt feel any inflamination or discomfort, but has given me Metcam to take for 4/5 days. He did mention that there was a possibility he is on a high calcium diet and that it needs to be changed, but has given the metacam for pain relief.

What are the side effects of Metcam? He has to have 0.7 on the syringe once a day for 4/5 days.

I believe that short term there aren't any side effects for Metacam. Bunnies are very prone to not showing if they are in pain so it's best to give it in case as pain can eventually mean they stop eating.

Thank you so much for your quick reply schuette, I was very wary about giving it to him (I always fear the worst!), but glad I have now.

Does 0.7 a day sound about right? Its not far from filling the whole syringe which seems to be quite a big dosage but have never used it before so not too sure?x

Yes that sounds about right, bunnies metabolise drugs quite quick so need a bigger dose than other animals. My vet asks me to give Smudge 0.6 if I suspect he's going into stasis (where they stop eating due to an unknown cause).

Long term it shortens their lives causing liver damage etc however its the price to pay to keep a bun pain free. Winston was on it for 4 years with us and never had problems he had as much as 2mls a day somedays.
Angel is now on it she has 1.15 a day.
If a bun is about 3kgs its usually 1ml the most and you normally get it aftr ops etc for few days to take.
buns love it as its honey flavoured I hate the smell

Thank you for explaining that. Can you only get it from the vets or is it avilable elsewhere?

Poor Ben, he isnt a very happy bun at the moment, he is having baytril by mouth twice a day and now metacam once a day!

Thank you for explaining that. Can you only get it from the vets or is it avilable elsewhere?

Poor Ben, he isnt a very happy bun at the moment, he is having baytril by mouth twice a day and now metacam once a day!

its a prescribed drug so only vets or off vetuk etc with prescription from your vet!

You can get it elsewhere (for instance on VetUK) but you would need a prescription from your vet before they would dispense it and that usually costs about a fiver.

Ben is a lionhead and only weighs 1.7 kg's, when you say long term do you mean if the rabbit is on metacam for a number of years? Or intermittentdly?

metacam is great for pain relief and the dose you have been told sounds fine. my two have been on metacam a couple of years and will be for life. they have 0.7ml and 0.6ml twice a day and there have been no problems.

the vets have to tell you about possible damage from metacam long term because of the particular group of medications it beliongs to, however my vet has never seen any problems from it long term and many rabbits on here have had it long term.

4-5 days is nothing really so try not to worry. :) if you wanted to be extra careful you can give zantac along side it which will protect the tummy possibly but again, some vets give that and some don't. we don't use that and have had no problems. :wave:

Thanks schuette, the vet said it wouldnt hurt him to put a bit of weight on but I have no idea what does! At the start of the year he weighed 2kg's but Ive cut his pellets down considerably since then due to him avoiding eating hay as often as he can!

I love Metacam. It's literally a life saver. I have had many bunnies on it long term and never got to a point of seeing problems with it. Wish is just shy of a year on it solidly and she has yet to show problems.

Remember, life is about quality over quantity. Rabbit's don't show their pain because they are a prey species so you have to identify times when they might be in pain and also behaviour changes to indicate it.

I wouldn't ever be without Metacam on my premises for as long as I have bunnies though.

I think thats why I got abit worried about giving it to him, as my bet didnt tell me ANYTHING abou possible side effects, and then I had a browse on google and saw the worst! May I ask the reason your buns are on metacam biscandmatt?

So Metacam can be used for a variety of different illnesses? Thats useful to know, if there is any leftover from bens bottle I shall keep it just in case!

You are definately correct about quality over quantity :)

Maybe up the pellets slightly or the odd treat of fruit here and there. Oats help them to put weight on too but you need to mix it with water first, personally I'd try the other two methods first.

I have a similar problem with one of mine, Mischa, he seems to loose weight easily, I think it's a few factors, Mini nicking his pellets doesn't help! I've started hand feeding and also supplementing their diet with Pro Fibre pellets which are like pellets but smaller and higher in fibre and now he seems to be maintaining his weight a bit better, will have a better idea when he's weighed for his myxo in August. I can't feed fruit it upsets Mini's tummy.

long term to us was every single day for 4 years. Winston was on it for his sore hocks (neglected in his first home, left in his urine which burned his feet to a point of no return, which sadly was the result of him dying 5 weeks ago as he walked funny putting pressure on his hips causing arthritis in his knees and hips and sadly lost his fight)
Angel is on it now for arthritis in her jaw

Metacam is an NSAID so is a bit like Ibuprofen for people, but it lasts 24 hours or so, as opposed to 4.

We've used it for many things, arthritis, respiratory issues, teeth, tummy pain, cystitis, spinal injury, muscle injury, anything and everything that might need pain relief or an anti inflammatory.

I always use it under my vets advice, but thankfully his advice is broad and basically 'if your rabbit appears in pain, then give them a dose' because he knows me and my bunnies well. If you keep the bottle, only use it uder your vets instructions.

Agree with Sky-O, the only reason I have it is because Smudge is pre-disposed to stasis so I can give him some straight away when I see the signs and not have to stress him with an emergency vet visit. I wouldn't give it to my other three without phoning the vets to ask first.

Back