• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Carprofen dosage injected

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

we are trying carprofen for the pain associated with Blackberry's gut issues . .

The oral tablets did not seem to have any affect - presumably because the gut issues means he is not absorbing them.

An injection of carprofen appears to work wonders however (hurrah!!) and he starts eating and moving around as normal (key to keeping his guts going) BUT this only seems to last 24 hours and the vet (not our usual one who is on holiday`) says we can only give it every 48 hours and even then 'only if he really needs it'. So will only give us one syringe at a time to take home - and only every 48 hours.

Trouble is if he goes into pain mode (as he does when the pain killer wears off) he stops eating and the gut issues (he has colon problems) start up and it becomes a viscous cycle and damages the gut etc etc

So has anyone else tried injectible carprofen - and if so how often and what dosage??

I hope you can find the right drugs to help Blackberry. I have nothing useful to add though.

We are running out of options here as some of the other painkillers just do not seem to work for him this one works.

I had seen this and it says every 24 hours - were the every 48 hours that this vet came up with comes from I do not know.

Probably because of the risks to the Liver associated with administering it. The liver of a Rabbit with a gut problem will already be considerably challenged.

Back