• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bunny has died( the updates jet doing well)

dazb

Young Bun
hi first time post on this site. i recently brought 2 baby lionheads from a breeder who said they were 6 and a half weeks old 2 little boys. that was six dayss ago they have only been feed pellets and hay and have plenty of water. yesterday(friday 29th) while i was at work my wife rang to say that dominoe had a large clump of soft poo all over his backside and really smealt. so we took him straight to the vets where they said it may be a tummy bug or something like that and gave us some medicine and liquid fibre and some probiotic for there water.this was at about 4oclock yesterday. so today i go to work get back and the wife says dominoe is looking much better that he had his medicine and loved it. so now to the point at about 3 oclock today my daughter comes in and says theres something wrong with him when i go to look he is lying on floor on his back looking up i go to pick him up and he just rolled over and over like he couldnt stand up so .so i got him inside in a soft blanket and he a large glump of smelly poo betwwen his legs and he kept his head arched right back. so onto emergency vets. half way there checked in the box he was in and he was dead. buried him in our garden about hour ago.kids were crying wife was crying i was upset so what went wrong and will jet his brother who has shown no signs of illness be ok

Last edited:
thank you he was a lovely little bunny i dont believe we didnt anything wrong as jet appears fine was trying to work out what could have happened to him

Sadly with a breeder selling a bunny too young, it can be any number of things :(
I'm sorry for the loss of your bunny

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Right now you need to focus on Jet. You were rehomed too babies far too young and they were/are very at risk. You should not bring another rabbit into your home because you don't know why Domino died.

Just focus on Jet, keep him eating and drinking and stable. There is a very high chance he will get ill as well and any sign that he does, he needs to go straight to a vet. I'm unsure though, from what you said, how reliable your vet is with treating rabbits, so it might be worth asking for recommendations from the forum (if you're in the UK) for good vets in your area so you know that whoever you see will provide good care.

This is very sad. They should never have been re-homed to you at such a young age - but you weren't to know that - and I do hope your other bunny survives. You need to keep a very close eye on him.

im from walsall near birmingham. what age would you normally buy a rabbit from. we got no intention of getting another bunny yet. just really worried about about jet now

im from walsall near birmingham. what age would you normally buy a rabbit from. we got no intention of getting another bunny yet. just really worried about about jet now

Rabbits shouldn't leave their first home until they are at least 8 weeks. Although the majority of us would recommend rescues rather than going to breeders/petshops.

I hope Jet stays healthy :)

A rabbit shouldn't be rehomed until 8 weeks minimum and older if possible.

I think you need to let the breeder know (if you haven't already) because if it is something highly contagious then she might stand a chance at helping her bunnies if she moves as soon as she sees any signs.

There is an RSPCA Walsall Branch on here.

You could try posting a thread in the Rabbit Chat forum called 'Good Rabbit Vet needed near Walsall please' and hopefully you will get some useful replies :)

so sorry for your sad loss,it is horrible to see your family upset,you must let the breeder know what has happened too,sorry :cry:

thank you all for your advice this seems like a great forum. i should say that jet is being kept in an outdoor hutch with combined run. he has been lively all the time we have had him and is currently showing no signs of illness. should i be handling him as much as i can or should i leave him to get used to being by himself .we usually had them out twice a day for petting for about 20mins each time

If he is comfortable with you interacting with him, then go for it. He will likely get lonely now he doesn't have a friend. You can try using lots of toys to help keep him busy. If he doesn't chew, then a cuddly toy to snuggle with would be a good idea. Also, you can buy a heat pad called a 'snugglesafe' and it might be worthwhile getting one and heating it so it is warm and giving him that to sit on and with.

Another option, depending on your household, would be to move him inside so he can have more human interaction. At this time of year though, you would be looking at having him in until next spring because the nights will start to get too cold by the time he could move out again (which would normally be once he has a friend).

ok going to be on bunny watch now for next few weeks i just really dont want to lose another one

Like already said way too young to be of breast milk.

It's vital for a bunny to stay at least 8 weeks on breast milk, ideally 10 weeks.

Bunnies are very good at hiding any symptoms, as their survival in the wild depends on it.

Jet will now need a lot of love from you, but without hassling him.
Let him come to you. Talk to him gently.
Stroke him while he is on the ground, give him nose rubs while his feet are firmly on the ground.
He needs to feel loved and secure as bunnies do not cope well at all with stress.

Do not pick him up! (unless absolutely necessary to examine him).
To be picked up means for a bunny that it has been caught by a Bird of Prey, Fox etc. and that he is about to be killed. Hence being picked up causes a tremendous amount of stress to a bunny.
Also pls explain to your girls that they cannot pick the bunny up, but show them how to stroke the bunny on the ground.
Generally bunnies find it relaxing if you gently and very slowly stroke them along the back starting from the head (hope that makes sense)

If a bunny enjoys being stroked by you, it will gently grind it's teeth (we call it bunny purrs)
Once he purrs while you are stroking him, you know you are doing it right.

You need to watch him very closely for any change in behaviour.
Often a sick bunny will show no symptoms until it's too late, however you will see tiny changes in behaviour.

Like already said you need him checked by a bunny savvy vet as a matter of urgency (unfortunately there are only very few bunny savvy vets).
His poo needs to be sent off to a laboratory to make the correct diagnosis and prescribe the correct meds.

I am not a vet and my recommendations regarding feeding him are just based on my own experiences with rabbits.

If anybody else here could pls correct me if my recommendations are not correct

You also need to be careful with what you feed him, no sudden change in diet, no bunny ready mixed food (I would also only give very few pellets as they contain too much starch which causes yeast infection, which can cause bloat).

Do not ever give him Cow's Milk. No sweets ever!

No fresh greens (until you have been given the go ahead by a vet), no fruits at this age.

I would only feed very high quality hay and maybe some very highly diluted camomile and fennel tea (but he will need other supplements from the vets such as Bio Lapis and probably some multi vits, apart from the proper meds he will need after being properly diagnosed).

Once he has got the all clear from the vets and is stable you can slowly introduce other vegetables.

keep him out of the heat as bunnies do not tolerate heat well.

I would also always have Infacol for small babies ready (about £2.99 from any big supermarket). Bloat kills bunnies within hours, as bunnies cannot get rid of bloat.

Watch him super carefully, if he stops eating it's an emergency!

Ok, this may all sound super complicated, but once you know your bunny you will be able to interpret his behaviour.
Bunnies are amazing animals and being a bunny owner is very rewarding. they are super intelligent and will never stop to amaze you.

My 8,5 year old bunny was a super sick 5wk old baby when I got him and the first 4 wks were touch and go. Every morning during this time I expected to wake up to a dead bunny baby.
He pulled through and it was so worth the effort.

I have always been a cat and dog lover, but I would now never have any other animal than a bunny.

Last edited:
hi first time post on this site. i recently brought 2 baby lionheads from a breeder who said they were 6 and a half weeks old 2 little boys. that was six dayss ago they have only been feed pellets and hay and have plenty of water. yesterday(friday 29th) while i was at work my wife rang to say that dominoe had a large clump of soft poo all over his backside and really smealt. so we took him straight to the vets where they said it may be a tummy bug or something like that and gave us some medicine and liquid fibre and some probiotic for there water.this was at about 4oclock yesterday. so today i go to work get back and the wife says dominoe is looking much better that he had his medicine and loved it. so now to the point at about 3 oclock today my daughter comes in and says theres something wrong with him when i go to look he is lying on floor on his back looking up i go to pick him up and he just rolled over and over like he couldnt stand up so .so i got him inside in a soft blanket and he a large glump of smelly poo betwwen his legs and he kept his head arched right back. so onto emergency vets. half way there checked in the box he was in and he was dead. buried him in our garden about hour ago.kids were crying wife was crying i was upset so what went wrong and will jet his brother who has shown no signs of illness be ok

They were to young to be brought home I got my bunny at 10 weeeks an minimum is around 8-10 weeks and sorry for your loss

Jet

I'm so sorry for your lose. I have children of my own and know how hard a pet's death can be. I don't know your religous beliefs... but I tell my children that when one of our pets dies, they are no longer in pain and are in bunny heaven. We believe God has a special place for our animals since he gave them to comfort us. We also plant a special plant and set a bunny statue in remembrance of our beloved pet in our backyard. I hope with all my heart Jet will be O.K. Focus on him and let the children help if they are old enough. This is a very supportive and great site to be a part of. Please let us know what happens. Your family and Jet are in my families' prayers tonight.

Back