• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets as treats

puppyjess12345

Mama Doe
Does anyone do it? Im thinking of buying a small bag of science selective for treats :oops::lol: A member on here (furryfurryfriends) sent me a sample of them as a prize from her contest (thanks!) and the bunnies love them but there happy on their current food :lol: They're easily givable because they're quite big and healthy too! :lol:

I did it when I'd switched over from one food and had a few spare :) When they were on SS I used to hand feed them, but now they're on rabbit royale temporarily, it's kind of impossible :lol:

Yep I do it! My buns only get their pellets fed by me! I have to give em a few then dart out the shed door or they dart out :roll:

But yeah it works well for me, and cuts down on their treats as they only get their usual amount of pellets and only 1/2 fenugreek crunchies per day :mrgreen:

Mine don't get many treats so they do seem to view their pellets as treats. They get a fenugreek crunchy or half of one of Liz's biscuits every few days and that's about it for treats.

I used to do it with my chinchillas and it ended up being a lifesaver! I was bought Chong as a birthday present from a breeder and he was on a really good quality pellet. I discovered my local pet shop sold that pellet so I slowly switched Cheech from Pets at Home pellets onto that one too. I had a bag of the Pets at Home pellets left so I was giving them a few a day as treats and Chong loved them. Unfortunately, soon after that he got very ill and wouldn't eat, essentially he was in stasis. There were many vet visits and a lot of syringe feeding but then I realised he would eat his 'treats', the other pellets. After that day he never ate the good quality pellets again but was happy to eat the Pets at Home brand. And I'd sort of tricked him into thinking he was eating treats. :)

Does anyone do it? Im thinking of buying a small bag of science selective for treats :oops::lol: A member on here (furryfurryfriends) sent me a sample of them as a prize from her contest (thanks!) and the bunnies love them but there happy on their current food :lol: They're easily givable because they're quite big and healthy too! :lol:

I've been thinking of doing this too! :wave:
I got a free sample bag of SS when I joined the RWAF, and it says they've got fenugreek in :D so I'm sure the buns will love them.

Back