• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT: 5 week old baby pneumonia help!

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Nevada- 5 weeks old

Found semi collapsed, rushed to vets- pneumonia

Given: metacam, baytril

Knew baytril was rubbish, but at the time, had no idea what ABX was effective (have since read depocillin)

Can he now have depocillin though given baytril?

He is the runt of litter, half the size.
Irregular heartbeat was picked up at his vetcheck a few days ago.

HELP!

Not sure about baytril with depocillin but I'm pretty sure he can have septrin as well. That sorted out a stubborn respiratory infection that baytyril didn't touch in an adult but I seem to remember contraindications with one of them and baby buns - try googling - hopefully someone with more knowledge will be on soon but septrin is a possibility as it's wider spectrum and I've definitely been told it's okay with baytril in the past.....

Not sure about baytril with depocillin but I'm pretty sure he can have septrin as well. That sorted out a stubborn respiratory infection that baytyril didn't touch in an adult but I seem to remember contraindications with one of them and baby buns - try googling - hopefully someone with more knowledge will be on soon but septrin is a possibility as it's wider spectrum and I've definitely been told it's okay with baytril in the past.....

We had Autumn on Septrin for a respiratory issue from the age of about 4 weeks or so, if that helps?

We had Autumn on Septrin for a respiratory issue from the age of about 4 weeks or so, if that helps?

That's reassuring but I'd still get vet's approval for the combination at that young age..although in a way you may have little to lose by trying it? :? You need accurate dosage though..

That's reassuring but I'd still get vet's approval for the combination at that young age..although in a way you may have little to lose by trying it? :? You need accurate dosage though..

Of course, I was just reiterating that you got the right med and agreeing that it can be given to a young rabbit. Obviously it should only be given under vet guidance.

Also, something else to consider might be nebulising? (Again under vet supervision, obviously).

ETA- I've never used Baytril and Septrin, we just used Septrin by itself.

Last edited:
Of course, I was just reiterating that you got the right med and agreeing that it can be given to a young rabbit. Obviously it should only be given under vet guidance.

Oops yes I knew that :wave: just thought I hadn't clarified. :oops:Also, something else to consider might be nebulising? (Again under vet supervision, obviously).

Yes could help a lot if vet agrees...

I'd personally expect Baytril to be given to such a young Rabbit. Anything else and fatal enteritis will probably be the result.

He has had an inj of baytril today, but they refused to give me more inj baytril and told me to give orally daily :evil: (despite an arguement in consult room!)

When our babies had pasturella the mum did too so we gave her the antibiotics rather than the babies and hope it would be passed on that way. However they were a bit younger at only 3 weeks. it did work :)

I thought little one was already on baytril for his temperature? So he has developed the pneumonia since?

He hasn't had the baytril for temperature, as decided against given pro's and cons :cry: Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I am awaiting call back re: Septrin

Thats sort of good though, because if he had it already and then developed pneumonia on top of that despite antibiotics then that would be worse.

Maybe the other little one died of acute pneumonia then :?

If so maybe it might be worth treating mum as she will still be feeding babies. Just a though, I don't know enough about young bunnies :?

I thought as much, but read generally it is the drug of choice :(

But Baytril does nothing as far as I'm concerned, so want him on something that will work =/

:?

Baytril is a perfectly effective antibiotic...but like alll antibiotics, it is effective on certain bacteria and not others.....until you know exactly what pathogen is causing an illness you really cant say what meds are ''rubbish'' and what aren't.

And it has the massive advantage of being licenced for use in rabbits, so you know it wont kill him. ;)

Hope the little chap is ok. x

Back