• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An Addition To The Family - Photos Added!!

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
Yesterday we picked up our first Syrian Hamster!! He is adorable and VERY naughty!

On the way back from the breeder he chewed through the first box within in miniutes so we double boxed him with a larger box and smaller one also - by the time we were home he was almost out of the smaller one and the larger one!!!!!!:p

We decided to call him "Linc" after Lincoln Burrows from Prison Break as he seems like he was desperate to escape!! Plus he likes burrowing too!!

Will get some pics up later tonight hopefully once he is settled a bit more into his new home!!

But he is a little terror and im looking forward to the challenge of keeping him a) amused and b) escaping from "prison" :p:p

On a side note he was sitting a large clear box with his moving box inside (breader said to do this to let him settle to the noise and smell of mr schnapples before moving him into his new cage) He was having an explore and then Mr Schnapples spotted him.......

Linc was up high on the table, but mr schnapples spotted him and thumped twice and then got on with his own thing. Im not sure if it was the fact it was a hamster or just something "unusual" moving near him.

Any one else with a hamster>rabbit house??

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new baby! :wave:

Bunnies don't usually even notice hamsters, mine don't anyway any time they are in. He'll get used to it :D

I could really do with some help on this;

Our rabbit (un-neutered (only 2 weeks til bye bye)) seems really scared of our new baby hamster.

I have held mr schnapples and let him have a look inside the cage of the hamster - but as soon as Linc starts to move mr schnapples jumps down and then just lays down all relaxed.

He was thumping last night a few times at the sight of Linc but today he is just "stared the cage down".

When i hold him and let him see he jumps down really quick and seems very anxious.

I live in a fairly big apartment is it going to be best to let the pair never see each other etc or do you think they could form a relationship and if so how would i go about it

Thanks

I think it is best that your rabbit and hamster dont free-range together, as a rabbit can unintentionally hurt or kill a hamster easily. However it is possible they can get along.

Is your rabbit trained to a harness? I used a harness when introducing my bun to the hamster, as then I could stop him going too close a lot easier.

Another way is to have a hamster ball, as long as your hamster likes using a ball that is. Watch them though, my bun used to nudge the ball along at first, which obviously wasnt nice for the hamster. He stopped when I showed him that there was actually a creature inside the ball though. My other rabbit (who was terrified of the ball) also calmed down when I got Maggie (hamster) out of the ball in front of them, and let them come near and sniff (whilst keeping a little distance).

I had exactly the opposite issue to you at first, my hamster hated the rabbit! She used to follow him in her ball and sneakily pull his fur through the holes in her ball! Since being introduced to him properly and getting used to him, she doesnt anymore though.

P.S watch what hamster ball you get, as the normal hamster sized ones will most likely become too small as he grows. Same with wheels. As a general rule, in balls and wheels, you need to have one big enough so that the hamster's back doesnt arch when it runs.

Linc in his new pad!! Finally he is settling in so i thought it would be ok to take a few photos without upsetting him.

IMG_20110730_221603.jpg

IMG_20110730_221814.jpg

He seems to be settling well still quite timid but i managed to hand tame it really well last night, he was coming to my hand no problem and running up and down my arm for the majority of the evening.

He is quite an active hamster so got plenty in his home to entertain him.

Back