• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice please!

tiki

New Kit
Hi there, Im harry and i have one rabbit called tiki. Last year I had 4 rabbits and in the space of 8 months i have lost 3. Its been a very sad and confusing time for me. I lost my first rabbit Norman at 1 year after months of struggling, she lost alot of weight amongst other stuff. I lost her partner Roman at a year also, about 7 months after losing Norman. Roman had no problems except losing weight. I had been feeding her up with barley rings and extra pellets when i went in to her shed one day and she was very still so i rushed her straight to the vets where i made the choice to put her to sleep. About a month later Colin, Romans partner after Norman had died passed away also. He had been losing weight but not at the rate Roman and Norman had been. The day he died i found him stuck under his hutch, when i got him out he couldnt move very well at all so i rushed him to the vet but he passed away whilst we were waiting for the vet. I got a post mortem done on roman which showed he had phenomena. My final rabbit tiki is now losing weight. My vet cant explain it as all my rabbits have been very active and happy and then on the day they die they just go down hill very very suddenly. After Colin died i made sure not to put tiki in any places any of the other rabbits had been because at this point i was starting to think it was contagious. She is in the wendy house collin used to be in before being paired with roman and uses a different run but i think whatever all the rabbits have been catching is from norman and collin didnt come into contact with norman only her partner roman so i had hoped maybe tiki was safe but now she is losing weight. I am so worried. Thanks for reading i hope you can make sense of it. I guess i just want to hear stories from anyone who had suffered the same thing or know of something similar?
Harry.

I'm so sorry for your losses:(

I've never heard of phenomena but a member on here called Jacks_Jane is very knowledgeable about unusual rabbit illnesses so hoping she may come on here with more info for you.

sue

Pneumonia

Dear Harry, I am so sorry for your lose and your story breaks my heart. Pneumonia can be frequent in some rabbits. It can follow severe stress, over crowding, or cold wether changes. It can also follow as a secondary infection.
It can occur due to a bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic infection, or because your rabbit inhaled a foreign object into its lungs. Environmental factors such as smoke, chemicals, inability to swallow and dental disease can contribute too. Your vet should prescribe antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, or antibiotics, depending on the specific organism that has infected your rabbit.

During treatment you may want to use a human vaporizor with Vicks for your rabbit. Restrict your rabbit's activity. It is IMPERATIVE that your encourage your rabbit to eat. In addition to pellets, offer a large selection of fresh, moistened greens like cilantro, parsley, romaine lettece and carrot tops.

Personally, if you're questioning your vet's abilitly to deal with this disease, I would seek the advice and help of another vet with more knowledge in this area. Also ask your vet how you might be able to sanitize your rabbits' living area. I wish you and Tiki the best of luck, please let us know how your doing.

Oh goodness, so sad :cry:

I hink the first port of call wpuld be to find a new vet who is VERY rabbit savvy.

Were all of your buns vaccinated against VHD?

What is your buns diet? What are their living conditions ie. indoor or outdoor, hutch, shed, what bedding? etc. Only ask as we might beable to help if we know more information :wave:

Back