• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I lost my Harvey last night

Rykat

Mama Doe
Goodnight my special boy

He was fine in the morning and OH was at home during day and said he was fine but I came home from work and he didn't come to greet me as he normally did for his treat, he was at the back of the crate very quiet and his head was slightly shaking and he couldn't walk easily.

I got him out, wrapped him up for snuggles but he was restless and keeled over truggling to get back up but then was ok. Rang vets for emergency number but luckily they were at surgery so took him down. Vet said it could be EC/neurological and we had 2 options; PTS or treat and re-assess in 24 hrs. I asked what he advised and he said it was worth giving him 24hrs (he won't keep an animal going unneccessarily) so Harvs had 2 jabs and we came home with some electrolyte to rehydrate him.

Was getting a cage sorted for him when he made this awful noise with his mouth open, I went to get car keys to go back to vets but he'd gone :cry:

I put him in with his partner Opal to say goodbye, she hopped over, sniffed him, hopped away, did it again then went to eat her food. She seems ok for now but I don't know what to do with her.

He was 11 and I have decided against a PM so taking thim to crem shortly.

I haven't cleaned crate yet, do I leave it longer or clean that and litter tray now? Any advice greatly received please

Last edited:
I am so very sorry for your loss.
11 is a great age though.
Binky Free Harvey :(

As for the litter tray I guess clean it out asap(?) I'm sorry I wouldn't really know.

RIP Harvey. He was an old bunny and it sounds like he wasn't ill for very long.
I am sorry for you loss.

Really sorry for your loss. :cry:

Would it be worth treating Opal for EC as a precaution, as the vet thought it could be that affecting Harvey? :?

Oh Bobs im so sorry i still havent got a working phone so checked on here hoping not to see anything! U know where i am if u need anything at all even if its just tea and cake you can always ring me at home im in all afternoon xxxx speak to u soon xxx

Back