• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent help needed for my bunny!! Lola died sadly x RIP Lola x

charlene

New Kit
Hi all,

I need urgent advice as I came home from worn today and my rabbit is breathing heavily and her mouth is open, I can see her teeth sometimes. Her face is twitching wen she breathes. I duno wat to do, I cnt get hold of a vet til tomorrow. Is.she in labour or ill? U can see her chest moving wen abse breathes. If anyone can advise me I wld ve gr8ful!

Thanks poor Lola

Last edited:
Could be a respiratory problem. Could you not ring round for an emergency vet as I don't want to worry you but this sounds like an emergency and may not wait until tomorrow.

if u phone ur vets there may be a message on the answer machine with the number for the emergency vet. Id say better to be safe and take her as soon as u possibly can.

maybe ppl in ur area can recommend emergency vets

honestly it does sound like an emergency. mouth breathing is a very bad sign. i would say vets asap, as tomorrow may be too late. x

I've tried ringing my vets emergency line but it puts u on hold for ages, do u think its more illness or she' in labour?

Bunny labour is not like that at all. It sounds like she is in severe respiratory distress.

Call your vets and stay on hold. Call other vets. You need to do whatever you can to get her seen by a vet.

Sorry to be blunt here but if your Rabbit does not get Veterinary attention within the next hour she is likely to die.

Just phone ANY Vet in your local area if you cant get through to anyone covering out of hours for the Practice you are registered with

As others have said, sounds like a respiratory problem poss pneumonia. Please try and get her to a vet asap. My Rosie died of pneumonia a few months ago and had similar symptoms but she was too far gone for me to get her to the vet in time.:(

Good Luck- it does sound like veterinary attention is required urgently. Vibes for your bunny.

If it's onset suddenly it may not be respiritory (unless there was a previous history of this), but could be something like pnemonia as pointed out earlier.

I've even seen things like this with rabbits with EC.

Hoping your bunny gets treated swiftly! Hope she is okay.

Just seen this. I am so glad that you were able to get to the vet. Let us know how she is. My bunny Chrissie did this too but died as I was trying to get her to the vet. I pray that your bunny is okay.

Just got home from the vets, sadly Lola died at the vets. The vet tried to weigh her and she struggled and worn herself out. She had to go on oxygen but she slipped away x the vet listened to her chest before she died and her chest was very infected :( I'm very upset right now as she was only 16 weeks old and full of life up until today x

RIP Lola x x u wer loved so much and will never be forgotten, it was a pleasure to have u for the very short time u had x one in a million character and a beautiful rabbit x x x <3

Lola.png

Back