• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this enough??

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi, I know winter is a way off yet but just getting prepared to know what to have for my bunnies outside hutch/run. They have a 6ft hutch with run attached, at the moment they have a clear pvc cover over the run so this keeps them dry all year round, im getting a thermal cover to go over the hutch too. They have a litter box (storage box) in their sleeping bit with megazorb and hay in and im getting blankets to go over their lino for the lounge bit, is this enough to keep them warm in winter?? I dont actually think they sleep in their litter boxes, I think they even sleep out in the run, although not sure how they will be in winter as I've only had them couple of months??:wave:

A thermal cover for the hutch is good, also lots of hay for them to get cosy in if they want to. It's useful to have snugglesafes too for when it goes below freezing. As long as they have an area which is covered and free from draughts they should be fine. If the front cover can be secured to leave it water and wind proof it should be okay.

They grow winter coats and no matter what I provide, most of mine sit on the frozen concerete anyway ignoring cosy boxes of straw and hay and snugglesafes :roll:

ok great, thanks very much, i'll get a snugglesafe too then. They have their litter box in the sleeping bit but I have put a bigger 32ltr one in the run as well now so they can get in and snuggle if they want to, plus although the run has the covers all round to keep it wind and water proof, when it really pours sometimes the water does still run under a bit so at least their hay will keep dry and they can stay dry in their or in the hutch. Thank you.x:D

When it came to last winter I had to do things to protect my bunnies that I never even considered. My best friend was Silver backed beach mats and I wrapped runs and stuff in them to help keep some of the warmth in. It worked pretty well as well.

Snuggle safes are brilliant and important. I used one under bowls, one for the rabbits, and one there, ready for heating. I would get up in the middle of the night and do a SnuggleSafe heating stint at around 4am until they were all heated.

I think it's hard to prepare for weather like that until you get there and realise what you're doing isn't enough.

Back