• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Huge insect!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
All morning in my garden I could her a loud buzzing noise so I went to look and found it was this inside this plant pot, and it was huge! :shock: It looks like a giant wasp but not sure if they can get that big? The coin in there was a £2 coin to help you see the size but it was big!

insect.jpg

insect2.jpg

I'm sad I know but I was impressed by the size of the insect! :oops: :lol:

can't really tell from piccie ut is it a hornet, i was clearing a hanging basket once put my hands in soil and then heard loud buzzing and nearly died of shock, i was lucky not to touch it :shock:

Its a horntail, a type of wood wasp. We usually see one or two a year. Amazing creatures and very loud.

Ah, thankyou. :) Can they sting? It looks like it had a sting and that alone was huge :shock: It seemed to be trapped in the plant pot so I nudged the pot over with the long garden cane you can see ( I didn't want to get close to it!!) and it flew away very loudly!

Don't think they sting, the use the 'sting' to lay eggs in wood. The eggs hatch and the larvae live in the wood until ready to emerge as adults.

Its a horntail, a type of wood wasp. We usually see one or two a year. Amazing creatures and very loud.

this^^^^^^

i posted a few weeks back we had one land on the rabbit hutch it was easiy 2" and im ashamed to say i saw it and legged it, left the bunnies to fend for themselves. ill be damned if i was hanging round to scare it off:lol::oops::oops::oops:

this^^^^^^

i posted a few weeks back we had one land on the rabbit hutch it was easiy 2" and im ashamed to say i saw it and legged it, left the bunnies to fend for themselves. ill be damned if i was hanging round to scare it off:lol::oops::oops::oops:

:lol: :lol: I certaintly didn't want to get close to it! Which is why I free'd it from the bucket it was struggling to get out off with a huge garden cane so I stayed a safe distance away! :lol:

Back