• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A little diversion for you - 17th century houserabbits

thank you so much for that amazing link!:love:

i love the mythology surrounding hares..especially...moon gazing hares:love:
i am after the spiral hare pendant...and all the statues figures please:lol:
http://spiritofthegreenman.co.uk/sotg/moon-gazing-hare.htm

did anyone see the channel 5 report many months back about the orphaned levret rescued and brought up by a family..even going to bed with the daughter..lounging watching tv etc...she was a beautiful hare:love:

some worrying facts about dwindling hare population in britain.:(
(but also some amazing pics too)
http://www.hare-preservation-trust.co.uk/index.html

Thanks, i have just read through the whole page. What a lovely gentleman he must have been, although he was probably thought of as a bit of a crazy bunny man in his time!

ETA: Is it not 18th Century if it is 1700's

Last edited:
I know Beatrix Potter had a pet rabbit she kept on a harness/lead and took for walks and had in the house. Was in one of the books I read a long, long time ago.
Nice to know that rabbits and hares have been treated as companions rather than commercial creatures, for a long time.

wow - thats really interesting....I thought it interesting too that the hare would want to play not just early evening but especially before a storm...:p

Thanks, i have just read through the whole page. What a lovely gentleman he must have been, although he was probably thought of as a bit of a crazy bunny man in his time!

ETA: Is it not 18th Century if it is 1700's

Yes :lol: I didn't look at the dates though, just copied the title :oops:

Thank you... that was so interesting. I wonder what the illness was that he nursed the hare through?

Strange to think of people having pet rabbits/hares so long ago.

Back