• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old and how do I, introduce a harness?

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Hi :wave: My 2 buns - sorry, our2 buns are roughly almost 10 weeks old. They don't like being picked up (see "I look like I self harm" thread!) but I'm hoping to re-train them in this over the next couple of weeks. They will however happily jump onto our laps although they don't sit for long. Unless you have a pocket full of treats :roll::lol:

How old were yours when you introduced the harness? Did they just accept it or did you get bitten or/and did they run away as fast as their little legs could carry them, with a half on/half off harness hanging around their legs :? (yes, I've already tried it a few weeks ago but decided it was far too early). The harnesses are a bit big at the moment anyway but once the buns are fully grown in about 6 weeks I'm hoping they'll fit. The pet shop said they should, but hey.

Any tips/advice gratefully received. Thanks :)

i tried one on Sox and got it half on, then he ran away as fast as he could and started panicking trying to get it off and jumping around frantically trying to get it off.
needless to say, i never used it again!! it really just depends on the bunny I think. be careful if they try to run away fast while your holding the lead they could really damage their spine/neck.

It totally depends on the bunny.
Snowball loves his, but now he's bonded with bubbles, I don't take him outside with it any more.

I'd say, if they don't like it - don't push it. I tried on snowball and he took to it straight away. If he'd even struggled a little bit, I wouldn't have tried again.
From her personality, I know bubbles would hate it, so I won't try her with it.

If they do accept it ok, I'd suggest you wouldn't use the little lead that comes with it, you use an extendible one to reduce the risk of neck / back injuries.
And only if the lead is longer than the length of your garden
(they can build up speed on an extendible lead, if the lead then came to an end and they were pulled to a stop, they could break their neck)

when i used the extendible, i made sure I always had it locked fully extended with slack between the handle and my other hand so there was no risk of accidents.

but again, i'd only use it if the rabbit liked it.
one struggle and i wouldn't try again.
not all rabbits will take to a harness

bunny proofing the garden or getting a run would be a better idea :)

Jasper was 6 months old and he loves his, he's binkied in it. :love: I recommend shoulder harnesses though because they don't go around the rabbit's neck so are safer. :) Some rabbits HATE them though including my 2 females who don't wear them after I discovered they didn't like them so like funnybunnyabc said, be careful when first putting them on your rabbits. :)

I tried a harness on Poppy when I first had her. She didn't like it, could escape from it fairly easily, and it was just awkward - she'd run behind stuff leaving me with the option of either letting her escape, or physically dragging her out :( :(

I haven't tried them with any subsequent rabbits as I don't think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I prefer to make my rabbits a large, safe exercise area where they can run about freely without hindrance :)

Rabbits are prey animals and can get extremely freaked out when they feel trapped. They could easily kill themselves trying to get out of a harness.

Izzy and Raven used harnesses (since my yard is predatory bird prone). They seemed just as happy on harness as they were off harness, but it totally depends on the buns. As long as your bun doesn't mind a harness I see nothing wrong with them but make sure the leash part is very stretchy.

I have a cat harness for one of my buns (rabbit one is too small), but I never use it. The other bunny doesnt like being touched, so I'll never try it with her, its too risky.

I first got him used to being touched all over, around his neck and belly especially. If a rabbit was not 100% calm with this I would never introduce them to a harness. A rabbit's muscles are stronger than their bones and they can break their own bones struggling WITHOUT being caught in something, nevermind if they got caught in the harness. So I wouldnt use it unless they were calm when it was being put on/off.

Then I put the belly part of the harness on, fairly loose. Had a few days of doing this for a couple of minutes. Then the neck bit, again loose. Then I built up the time he was in it to an hour. Then I started to tighten it slowly over a week. Then finally I clipped the lead on. The process took a good few weeks, but I'm glad I did it slowly, because he was fine with every single stage.

I took him to the beach outside my house once, before I knew better. I took him in his carrier and let him out, but he wasnt happy, he was spooked by the new place and would only come out the carrier for food. This is the rabbit that is unphased by everything, hes even relaxed at the VETS, right up until the point they start examining him.

I think people (including me!) see the harnesses and think it will be like walking a dog or ferret. But rabbits are prey animals and so are not comfortable in new surroundings, and plus, they are RUBBISH at walking on the lead :lol: they dont have the sense to follow you at all, give a little tug on the lead and they'll look at you like 'what, you have food?' then carry on ignoring you.

I did however find the harness very useful in introducing him safely to my hamster. Thats the only real use I've found for it though. If I had had a long lead and a garden I might have used it in there before he was bonded, but only if I could get him used to the garden and harness slowly.

eta- Oh and as for the how old question, I would wait till they are fully-grown (so like 6 months at least) so you know their bones are set and they will fill the harness out properly. In the meantime you could get them used to the touching exercises and general trust. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
rabbits are, by nature, a prey animal. The vast majority won't like being lifted up or handled in a way that may make them think they might be picked up.

Personally that's meant that I don't push anything on my buns. If they move away when I stroke them, I stop. I don't try to lift them unless I have to - ie, for nail clippings and vet visits and if luring them in to a carrier is an option I'd rather do that.

For the same reasons, I would not use a harness for rabbits. I can't see a rabbit being truly comfortable with something close fitting around their body (of course, I might see a bun in one that would change my mind) and I know what fragile skeletons they have so would be too worried about them trying to fight their way out of it or getting tangled up in a lead.

I'm not saying it's the "wrong" thing to do, just that if there are alternatives I would try those first.

I just put my harness on Timmy for a pic, his first time wearing it and he wouldn't stop moving for a pic! He's a laid back bun :lol: Its too big as it was meant for my old mini lops and Timmy's a nethie.

July2011265.jpg

The two times I've tried mine with a harness they've both wriggled out within about five minutes. A big run IMO is FAR better. With a harness you have to continually follow them, I much prefer sitting in the run with them with a book. With a harness if they get scared and bolt they could do themselves a very nasty injury, in a run I'm with them so they feel safe and I can provide a safe hideaway area (usually a carrier).

I would never use one personally as I can't see the need for a harness when there are other solutions - if it's to keep them safe in an open garden for example, then I would use a run instead.

Rabbits are a prey animal and, even if they seem happy wearing a harness, there is no telling when they might suddenly be spooked by something while wearing it. If they try to bolt, then you risk causing a serious injury to the rabbit.

Is there a particular reason why you want them to wear a harness? As we may be able to suggest safer alternatives. :)

IMO a prey animal should not be fitted with a harness. I see absolutely no need for it. If a person wants to take an animal for a walk volunteer to Dog Walk at a Rescue. To me putting a harness on a Rabbit seems to only be done to benefit the owner, not the Rabbit.

IMO a prey animal should not be fitted with a harness. I see absolutely no need for it. If a person wants to take an animal for a walk volunteer to Dog Walk at a Rescue. To me putting a harness on a Rabbit seems to only be done to benefit the owner, not the Rabbit.

Completely agree with this

This this and more this.

I used a harness with Autumn has a house rabbit, when he went outside-only into the back garden. He loved the freedom. Now he has friends, and lives in better accommodation there is no 'need' and he doesn't miss being outside so I don't do it anymore, but the binkies and bunny 500s I got from him on it showed he was comfortable. The other 17 I had at the time were ruled out due to personality and I didn't try it with them. It takes a very special bunny to cope with and enjoy a harness and the majority of bunnies, by nature, won't. If they don't take to it the first time, then, out of respect for the rabbit, I wouldn't suggest trying again.

I had two previous bunnies called Summer and Tilly who also loved the harness. Two lops out of those three, and one very gentle luscious lady.

I started about 12 weeks with Autumn. Also just so you know, your bunnies wn't be fully grown at 16 weeks. Even the smallest breed isn't at that point.

Hi :wave: My 2 buns - sorry, our2 buns are roughly almost 10 weeks old. They don't like being picked up (see "I look like I self harm" thread!) but I'm hoping to re-train them in this over the next couple of weeks. They will however happily jump onto our laps although they don't sit for long. Unless you have a pocket full of treats :roll::lol:

How old were yours when you introduced the harness? Did they just accept it or did you get bitten or/and did they run away as fast as their little legs could carry them, with a half on/half off harness hanging around their legs :? (yes, I've already tried it a few weeks ago but decided it was far too early). The harnesses are a bit big at the moment anyway but once the buns are fully grown in about 6 weeks I'm hoping they'll fit. The pet shop said they should, but hey.

Any tips/advice gratefully received. Thanks :)

Also just wanted to say you shouldn't be looing to 're-train' your rabbits. They are acting as rabbits do and it's normal. You need to work to win their trust, and you need to work on how you feel and your attitude when you handle them. If you're stressy, they will be too, if you're calm, then they will be calmer.

Absolutely agree.

Back