• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lice from hay?

claire**

Warren Scout
Hi,

Just discovered a few tiny creatures in smokeys fur - took me about an hour to actually then find one to take with me to vet so there are very few, but got one and vet said its mites... i asked what type and she said its actually a louse but she cant rememebr the name for the rabbit type. she said he will have either come with them, or got it from hay bedding. Ive only had him 4 weeks, ever since I got him he has the tiniest amount of flaky skin, i mean only a few tiny pieces, and the fur on the back of his neck was very thin, but I just thought these were baby things. I have seen lice before, and nothing gave me reason to think it was that. He scratched himself a bit, but nothing bad.

So my question is has anyone come across lice in Burgess fresh forage? I have only used one pack of this so far, and carefresh bedding. I got him some bits the other day from a mail order company, including carrot play patch and chill and chew mats, but I think the lice have been there from before then. I got him from a really careful breeder, who is very cautious when it comes to health and she had done all the health bits he needed before I got him. -panacur, myxi jab etc.

I feel bad now that I hadn't noticed this til today, he might have had it for 4 weeks. But he doesnt seem bothered, he is lovely full of binkies and very friendly and confident. I was just chance that i noticed it, I was cuddling him and looking in his fur at the odd tiny skin flake, then got looking more and more closely, then noticed one. It took ages to then find another to take to the vets so thats shows there arent many on him.

vet have him spot on and said come back in 2 weeks to do again, and Ive thoroughly disinfected cage, and hoovered. She said chuck all the stuff in cage but I will be ok with bits hes sniffed at eg, the rest of the pack of hay and his bag of treats which hes jumped into briefly etc. she said just get rid of anything hes rubbed in/rolled around in etc, but if hes just touched it its ok.

sorry long post. just wondered ur opinions really on the most likely source of the lice?

Plus any advice would be great. I wanna get rid of them for him as soon as poss
thank you

If he has always had flaky skin and you have only just spotted the lice he has probably always had them and you havent noticed - they arent easy to spot

It is possible they have come from hay but unlikely and even more unlikely although still possible they are from the excel forage

Sounds like mites. Many people suggest that Rabbits have always got a certain amount of mites, but they can keep them under control with normal grooming. They can flare up at times of stress.

The spot on is the correct treatment. Yes, chuck all the hay out, you dont have to chuck any blankets etc, just wash them at 60 degrees.

There is also a spray that i have used before, johnsons mites spray. You get it in pets at home and you use it to treat the bunnies accommodation / room. Bunny needs to be out of the area before and for about 30mins or so after you spray tho'

Back