• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips for my crate destroying bunnies?!

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
I have a large dog crate for my bunnys with a long run and a big cardboard box attached. There's two rabbits in there. All was going well until I started letting them out to roam loose around the house when we are at home. They now HATE being in their crate and will destroy the correx in the crate, bang on the bars and basically make as much noise and nuisance as possible until we let them out again.... :roll: Once they are let out they normally just go and lie down either under the stairs on just down the side of the sofa.

Let them out this morning because they were being a nightmare. Put them back in the crate before I left for work but my oh ended up having to let them out again as they were going crazy destroying things. Room they're in is bunny proofed so we let them loose all day while we were at work.

Although they are really good when they're loose I just dont feel like this is an ideal situation and I don't understand why they're not happy in their crate and run.

Has anyone got any situations on ways to make them happier being shut in the crate while we're out?

Sorry for the long post but lots to try and explain!

If they're rattling the bars and being noisy until you let them out, then you're just teaching them that their behaviour will get you to let them out

Is there any way you can let them free range permenantly? If not, maybe increase the space, give them something new to entertain them, tunnels and things :)

If they're rattling the bars and being noisy until you let them out, then you're just teaching them that their behaviour will get you to let them out

I know that I'm encouring the behaviour which I hate doing but it's so hard when it's 5 in the morning or when I've left for work and my oh gives in and lets them out :( I have been ignoring it pretty much up until today. Today was the last straw! I love my bunnies and want to look after them the best way I can, it's just so hard sometimes.

Is there any way you can let them free range permenantly? If not, maybe increase the space, give them something new to entertain them, tunnels and things

Free ranging permenantly is looking to be the way to go at the moment. I like the idea of having them loose all the time but I wanted it more on my own terms! Feel I bit controlled by my bunnies at the moment I guess.... Can't increase their space anymore. They have this crate http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705455/Trail/searchtext>PET+CAGE.htm then a run the same size as the crate again and a huge box. Lots of toys to play with and free ranging when I'm at home.

. I like the idea of having them loose all the time but I wanted it more on my own terms! Feel I bit controlled by my bunnies at the moment I guess....QUOTE]

hahahaha welcome to bunny ownership :lol::lol::love::love:

:) Having one bunny was so easy, I didn't realise the difference having another one would make! I really enjoy having them and wouldn't change them for the world (apart from when they are making more noise than I thought possible! :lol:). I just cant believe that they make so much fuss to come out and then just lie down and go to sleep. It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong and they're not happy :(

Ever since mine have free-ranged (well in one room, they get time in other rooms but not permanently) they've been a LOT less destructive.

A dog crate is too small to leave a single or a pair of buns in overnight, can you add a puppy pen to the side of it to give them more space. This may help with stopping them feeling confinded and bored.

A dog crate is too small to leave a single or a pair of buns in overnight, can you add a puppy pen to the side of it to give them more space. This may help with stopping them feeling confinded and bored.

In post 3 I've said how they're kept, dog crate with run attached. The dog crate is never shut off from the run. They shouldn't be confined or bored! They have plenty of hay, willow ball and a seagrass mat to play with. They have a huge box to sleep in and chew. They seem better this morning, I was really stressed last night so don't think that helped.

Back