• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

if you have 4 bunnies??

louiseb1000

Warren Scout
i have 2 house buns and we are thinkin of 2 more! how do you house or would you house them as a couple when you already have 2 ??

Can you explain a bit more?

Are you intending to have a quad? Or not sure? Are you considering two pairs?

Will all four rabbits be inside?

What do you house your current rabbits in?

If you mean 2 separate couples we free range one set in the lounge with access to stairs and bedroom and another in the dining room with access to kitchen with a baby gate in between:)

I have 3, but I did have 4 until Izzy died. My 3 aren't bonded yet and I intend to get 1-2 more rabbits before I bond them, so I can bond them as a quad/group. They'd be free range in the house when supervised, and when they're not supervised they'd have free range of the bathroom, hallway, and my bedroom.

However, for a pair of rabbits that are already bonded, you have to think carefully about introducing more rabbits in case it breaks the bond between them.

i dont wanna mess with their bond i mean get another couple separate either indoor preferabley or outdoor what do you think would 2 new buns although not in the same area upset floppy and flopsey?? my current buns are in the living room in a 2 storey house with a pen on when im out and freerange when im home

Potentially it could. Referred agression is a possibility depending on your rabbits and also those you brought in.

Outdoors would be a possibility, but if the bunnies react to smell, then that is also risky.

Mine personally react to fresh scent (i.e. from the rabbit, not on me) and visual, but all rabbits are different, some it's hearing, smell, sight, etc.

I have four rabbits kept in pairs of two outdoors. My garden is divided in two. I have to make sure they can never get near to each other. Major scraps have broken out between the buns just because they could hear/see/smell one of the other rabbits on the other side of the divider. I now have to sit by the divider when they are out for exercise to stop them being near it at the same time. I have also designed and positioned the hutches and run so that when I am not there they can't see each other at all.

when we got flopsey floppy went nuts to get at her and he couldnt even see her , i wonder if jane is on she has lots of buns????

Last edited:
I have been wondering exactly this myself, as I am getting 2 outdoor buns in a few weeks :wave: Olly and Honey have their own room upstairs, but Honey is very sensitive to smells and does have a jealous streak, so I'm a bit worried how she's going to be... :?

I have to be very careful with the foster buns. If my own lot are free ranging and the fosters are in the run then my lot go for them and then for each other. I now have mine in the back garden during the day after the fosters have been put out the front.

when we got flopsey floppy went nuts to get at her and he couldnt even see her , i wonder if jane is on she has lots of buns????

Floppy would likely be your risky rabbit in your current pair then.

Personally speaking, inside I have a pair, a trio and three singles all in 'reach' of each other (the pair is a foster pair). The pair can access any of the bunnies who are running. If the trio, or one of the singles are running, they scrap. If the other two singles are running, they don't, and don't care. When the trio could access everyone whilst running (basically meaning living in the ground floor level of the NIC cage) then they never scrapped regardless of who was out. When Sandy was there, she used to wind up every bunny and ALL would end up scrapping.

Outside i have two trios and two pairs. If they can see each other then all hell breaks lose. I have the most volatile pair up the garden, away from the others. I have two split by a soolid wooden divide, and the other pair set a small distance away, which seems to have worked. When I had two trios and a pair all in a line, and didn't realise about my groups' referred aggression being triggered by sight, I found myself with three groups of fighting rabbits all at the same time.

It's about knowing your rabbits. I could tell you, out of mine, exactly who would cause problems, and how (be it chasing, humping, full on fighting, etc). I'm just exceptionally lucky that they don't get triggered by smell!

You have to know your bunnies and work out what is best for them and how to work around any referred aggression problems and if you take on another pair, you need to be prepared that the may also have referred aggression and that you might have to make adjustments to both pairs and how you keep them and how you move between the two, in order to ensure all bunnies are safe.

Back